A magnetic alternative to clip-ins.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Strictly speaking this should be in the equipment bit but I think it may be of wide interest. One of the German bike mags (Aktiv Radfahren Sep/Okt) has an article on a new pedal which instead of clips has a strong magnet. This is complemented by a relevant piece of metal in the shoe sole. The sole is also cut to the the shape of the whole pedal, thus enabling the alignment to be got right. Shoes and pedals are made by Mavic. The only problem as far as I can see it is that the article doesn't make mention of the possibility of any lateral adjustment of the position of the shoe in relation to the pedal. The whole thing goes by the name of EZ Ride. I wonder if it will catch on. In principal it sounds like a great idea.

Looks like there is a website www.ezridemavic.com but I can't open it from work.

Nice thought... being dragged towards the side of a car and hitching an involuntary tow - or cyclists side by side pushing each other over without touching...:?:

Well my first thought, is that you come out of the office unable to engage the shoe because of all the paper clips stuck to the bottom. Or you are unable to walk up metal ramps without great effort. Both of which are ridiculous I know. Interesting, especially for touring.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Maybe because the magnet is recessed it won't pick up the paper clips.... it certainly sounds interesting.

Who's going to give it a go and test it for the rest of us?

PrettyboyTim

Here's some pictures for anyone who can't get through:

But how would you adjust the angle? It doesn't look like the pedal is adjustable.

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
PrettyboyTim said:
Here's some pictures for anyone who can't get through:

But how would you adjust the angle? It doesn't look like the pedal is adjustable.

That's exactly what I see as the chief problem. What I think needs to happen is that the part of the shoe sole which is cut for the pedal needs to be rotatable and then fixable. Looking at the existing design of the shoe, that shouldn't be too difficult.

ChrisKH

Guru
One disadvantage, unlike some other pedal mechanisms, you can't adjust float or lateral fit. I can see the attraction though.

Top Bottom