a metre matters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
It bugs me when you have an adequate size road but councils treble the width of the pavement and then make the road narrow. Must be with a view to slowing traffic down but in reality makes the roads more dangerous. It may just be more prevalent in South Yorkshire
Pedestrians may disagree with you. There are more of them than cyclists and, hopefully, will continue to be so. Remember the pyramid.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
It bugs me when you have an adequate size road but councils treble the width of the pavement and then make the road narrow. Must be with a view to slowing traffic down but in reality makes the roads more dangerous. It may just be
more prevalent in South Yorkshire
How is taking taking space from motor vehicles to give it to pedestrians a bad thing?

Jody

Stubborn git
Pedestrians may disagree with you. There are more of them than cyclists and, hopefully, will continue to be so. Remember the pyramid.

Maybe fine in London town. But in a little village where there are few people walking let alone shopping it kind of takes the p*** to see council money spent like that.

Don't get me wrong I am not anti pedestrian, or anti car or cyclist. But the main reason doesn't seem to be an increase pedestrians but used to make sure cars have to wait behind buses or trams.

StuartG

slower but further
Maybe fine in London town. But in a little village where there are few people walking let alone shopping it kind of takes the p*** to see council money spent like that.
Oh I see, they don't have prams, kids or invalid carriages. How lucky you are.
Or is it they feel it safer to go by car?
I've lived down a country lane in mid Wales so I DO know what it is like without adequate footpaths.

Jody

Stubborn git
I've lived down a country lane in mid Wales so I DO know what it is like without adequate footpaths.

It wasn't inadequate before and now it is over 20ft wide. Bit overkill for a pram you reckon? If they cared so much about pedestrians then they would widen the inadequate foot path over the bridge leading out of the village. Which isn't wide enough for a pram (approximately 18") and there is only one route out by foot.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
A metre isn't very much atall. Why any motorist can't manage that is beyond me.
Considering I live in Central London, I have to say that most days all is good with the car/bike thing. But you do get the occasional tosser who sees cyclists as an inconvenience, and they have the "must pass" attitude wherever they are and whatever the road conditions say.

Top Bottom