A middle aged newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skt71

Hi
It's probably about 20 years since I've ridden a bike in anger, but there was a convergence of 3x important things in July that inspired me to get a bike again, and get back in to cycling.

1. A "Health MOT" confirmed what I already knew - that I was overweight and unfit and that things needed to change. 5' 9" and just under 15 stone, with little to no exercise in the past 10 years, and a desk job.
2. Despite not cycling, still a massive fan, so with the Grande Departe of the TF practically on my doorstep, what an opportunity to see something I've been watching for probably 25 years. Saw Stage 1 roll past on the Cote de Buttertubs
3. A bike at a really good price - I ended up buying a Carrera tdf from Halfords at £243. Week after I bought it, I received an e-mail offering the same bike for £199, and Halfords agreed to refund me the difference, so got what I think is a pretty decent entry level bike for a really good price.

Have been out and about on it practically every day for the past couple of weeks. Most rides up to 10x miles. I'm thinking I need to build up strength and stamina, before I think about distance and speed, but I'm generally still averaging about 12mph on most rides I've done. I've done 50 miles in the past week, which I think is a great base to build from. Registered on strava last week, and there's enough in there to excite the geek in me.

Found my challenge today - a few rides I've bottled out of tackling a hill nearby, but attempted it today - it's shown on strava as 0.4miles at an average 8%. http://www.strava.com/activities/185095802/segments/4334280785 Stopped halfway and ended up walking the last 50 metres. I'm hooked enough to make sure I'm able to ride this with ease in the next 6 months.

Thanks for reading and any pointers or words of encouragement much appreciated.

Last edited:

Peteaud

Veteran
:welcome:

Keep at it, in 6 months the massive hills will be mere bumps and 25 miles plus will be the norm.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello. Welcome to the forum. Advise? Just keep riding your bike. Dont try to do too mch to soon. Just enjoy. Have fun and gradually build up your distance. If you push yourself to hard you won't enjoy it and you'll throw the bike into the shed and walk away. Distance, and times aren't important. Forget about them. You can get too wrapped up in all of that. Just have fun.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Welcome. Sounds like you are doing well. Don't worry it will only get easier. You'll need to combine it with a healthy diet too, but I suspect you know that already. It's tough losing fat just by exercising. Good luck.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: @skt71

Sounds like a good start.:thumbsup: Keep up the good work and you'll end up looking at this as your challenging hill ;):
DSC01808.JPG

Edit: on a more serious note, getting out every day can cause its own issues. Do allow yourself rest days for the muscles to recover and build strength.

Last edited:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
:welcome: As everyone else has said or hinted at. Just enjoy riding. If you give yourself little goals such as, get a little further up the hill before walking. Just don't make your targets to difficult or you will lose motivation.
go enjoy cycling.

screenman

Legendary Member
Oh! I forgot a 15 minute ride is way better than no ride, and you will be surprised how often a short ride becomes a longer one.

Trull

Über Member
Welcome - I had a hiatus off the bike and found *everything* a bit of a struggle for a while, but by building up steadily and working on the social side my mileages have crept up - with last weekend seeing me complete a 200k randonneé for the first time in 20 years :-)

I'd take to fb and see if there's a bunch of likeminded people you can meet for a pub run - your local CTC group probably has one, and you'll benefit from the friendly face to face welcome they can offer, and a nice beverage of your choice later. Of course down your neck of the woods that probably means Landlord's or Sheep!

One little thing that helped me was to cycle to work one day a week - I bike in on a Friday and find that getting out again over the weekend is much more productive after Friday's leg stretch.

Either way - I look forward to tales of derring dos and much cake earned.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
Well done on the new bike and at a great price, I know people who didn't buy that bike at that price and quickly retired to their couch. You'll love it and you'll be surprised how quickly the runs gets longer and easier. Like others have said just enjoy it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom