A new halfords thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't use Halfords as I like my LBS, but possibly would if desperate and they were the only thing open. I've had to fiddle with a number of bikes over the years where a parent has commented on a problem but doesn't want to take it back to get it fixed, they just seem to be prepared to put up with it not being sold perfectly. I'm sure far more bikes are sold properly assembled than not, but there is something wrong in the system when so many make it through with poorly set up brakes, gears not fully working or the fork the wrong way around.

If I was a high up manager in Halfords I'd want to know why there seems to be so much variance between all the stores. I don't think there is any pride in the brand Halfords.

The click and collect is a farce. The online system bears no relation to the real stock. So it allows you to order stuff that will be ready in an hour's time and when you get there they tell you it will be a few days....

Its to secure sales. They might not have the cashflow to hold inventory. Thats why the bigger boys at least imdicate stock availability when browsing.

What they do not realise is that its damages their reputation.

david k

Hi
but there is something wrong in the system when so many make it through with poorly set up brakes, gears not fully working or the fork the wrong way around.

If I was a high up manager in Halfords I'd want to know why there seems to be so much variance between all the stores.

I don't think there is any pride in the brand Halfords.

In percentage terms how does it compare to many lbs's?

Yes I agree,why is this? I'm sure they know it happens and try to fix it, I guess staff turnover is an issue

It suffers the same issues as many national outlets, it's not unique to halfords or cycling, will these issues ever be sorted or can they?

screenman

Legendary Member
I think if you take a cross section of the UK populace you will find some, no many people who have no pride in what they do or who they are.

Halfords is a very successful business but their Bike Department is certainly a poor cousin. Automotive parts always carries high margins and the focus is there.

Seriously nobody cares if your local Halfords rolls out the red carpet and assigns you a personal shopping assistant and then gives you 90% discount at the end of each of your visits. A chain is as strong as its weakest link and they have so many weak links.

The complaints about inconsistent and bad service for bikes have plagued them for years. Their first attempt to buy Evans fell thru as the prized dealership partners refused to carry on and I am told it was not about prize. Then they stated their own concept store and you know where it is going. The decision to buy Boardman was the best decision they made as they have no idea how to develop Carrera. I am sure when Chris leaves, the Boardman will turn into another Carrera unless they change their ways.

The possible silver lining is the appointment last month of the Ex Macdonalds chief to take over Halford's. She comes from a background where time and motion workflow is a key part of the performance and delivery DNA. Either she gets it right or they exit the bike business.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
In percentage terms how does it compare to many lbs's?

Yes I agree,why is this? I'm sure they know it happens and try to fix it, I guess staff turnover is an issue

It suffers the same issues as many national outlets, it's not unique to halfords or cycling, will these issues ever be sorted or can they?
I'm sure it does also apply to other places too but it's easier to see at Halfords as that's where a lot of kids bikes tend to be from. I don't think that it is as much as a problem in bike shops.

jay clock

Massive member
The new deputy manager at the local Halfords bike dept admitted that having a bike and being interested in bikes was not in any way a requirement and people serving in the bike area were often from "downstairs"

david k

Hi
The new deputy manager at the local Halfords bike dept admitted that having a bike and being interested in bikes was not in any way a requirement and people serving in the bike area were often from "downstairs"
I've seen this, they can often be simply shop assistants, but again this isn't unique to halfords, how many people selling beds, car parts, soft furnishings, plumbing merchants etc. are very interested in that line of product?

As long as they can give basic advice and can call on someone with more experience I don't see the issue

If it's an issue for halfords it's a national issue for most stores

david k

Hi
I'm sure it does also apply to other places too but it's easier to see at Halfords as that's where a lot of kids bikes tend to be from. I don't think that it is as much as a problem in bike shops.
Maybe we don't hear about it as much as they aren't as national?,that's why I referred to percentage of sales

vickster

Legendary Member
I think when I've done click and collect the Sutton store have called to confirm the order is in, so no wasted journeys

Saluki

World class procrastinator
The manager type woman, in the big halfords just on the edge of the city is brilliant. A great lady, great customer service, always smiling and helpful. Seems to know what she is doing and talking about. The lot in the City bikehut store seem enthusiastic and knowledgable as far as I can tell. I'm happy to use both for bits and bobs but not sure I'd' actually buy a bike from them. Although, the city shop now offer test rides.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Not had anything other than good service from my local Halfords. Used to be a bit ropey, but a new man leading the bikehut side of things who is a keen cyclist has really helped. During their 20% off I ordered a Garmin Edge 800, he rang to say the warehouse had no stock but the next nearest Halfords some 5 miles away had held one for him. He cycled over in the snow to collect it, then called to say I could drive 1 mile to pick it up. So a good experience.
The downside, waiting for ages at the car parts desk to collect an order placed online.

dee.jay

Network Ninja
Halfords are very handy for parts and that's about it. I nearly bought a Boardman bike last week but couldn't bring myself to do it after the first bike experience I had - though I did buy a £130 Apollo which was rubbish.

However, I tried to browse today to get new mudguards and a rack for my new bike, and it took me 2 computers and 5 different browsers in order to try and reserve anything. I even got my phone out to try but in the end I gave up and ordered from Amazon

Top Bottom