"A pedestrian made me crash... but I must foot the bill"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think it's just hipsters tbh. Here's a seat post mounted one.
3642037271_389a803bc7_o.jpg
"We think the deceased was smiling because he intended to brake, reached between his legs and grabbed something else instead of the lever..." ;)

Not a problem hipsters are likely to encounter, though.

Lozz360

Veteran
Stunt pegs on the back wheel too. Brake on the crossbar means the steering can be spun. And a mudguard.
What an unusual/weird set-up.
It still has a front rim brake with cable. So no spinning steering.

Reactions: mjr

Lonestar

Veteran
Bearing in mind we only have one side of the story, I can feel some sympathy for him.
The number of kamikaze pedestrians is at an all-time high - looking at phones, wired into headphones, away in a world of their own or simply in a rush and expecting everyone to let them through. There are a couple of places near me that I try to avoid purely because constantly looking out for pedestrians makes them no fun to cycle.

Be interesting to see what the final outcome is.

That happened to me last week.Luckily I was concentrating and managed to scrub my speed even though I saw him very late.He had crossed between traffic (I was filtering up the middle)while he was looking at his phone and didn't see me till I hit him with my shoulder.A miracle really considering he was dressed all in black also and it was dark.This happened up Poplar High Street.No apology but I wouldn't expect one from a brain dead idiot.Phone and pedestrian were unharmed.

Mobile phones really are a menace.

Last edited:

Lonestar

Veteran
Yep, I won't get out of the way either

I wanted to get out of the way.:cursing:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Granted this does not work on the bike, but as a pedestrian faced with a head down texter, I have taken to simply stopping and letting them walk into me. Can be quite fun!
You too, I've been doing that to the ignorant feckers for years, a polite "excuse me" seems to baffle em.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
An unfashionable view perhaps, but within reason, pedestrians should be free to wander as they like (if memory serves, they have absolute priority among all road users, a priority that is already shamefully abrogated by the hostility and entitlement of motorists). When I cycled through Rusholme (a hotbed for young people afoot whose minds are on other things) I slowed right down, and kept an eye on them. I managed not to hit any of them in 7 years of daily commutes taking in shared paths and roadside cyclelanes into which they would, occasionally, venture.

We don't improve Britain's hostile, selfish road culture by being hostile and selfish ourselves.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
An unfashionable view perhaps, but within reason, pedestrians should be free to wander as they like (if memory serves, they have absolute priority among all road users, a priority that is already shamefully abrogated by the hostility and entitlement of motorists). When I cycled through Rusholme (a hotbed for young people afoot whose minds are on other things) I slowed right down, and kept an eye on them. I managed not to hit any of them in 7 years of daily commutes taking in shared paths and roadside cyclelanes into which they would, occasionally, venture.

We don't improve Britain's hostile, selfish road culture by being hostile and selfish ourselves.
:bravo:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm afraid that I'd extend it to stepping out of the way of people whose minds are on something else while I'm walking too, though :smile:
I just got fed up with getting out of the way of people who seemed to think they were somehow better than me and that I would move for them, stopping still just seems the better option than 'chinning' the ignorant feckers, they should look where they are walking. BTW I'm not talking about someone on an empty pavement but rather those idiots who see people walking the same way as them (whilst on their phones) and seem to walk past those fine but ignore someone walking towards them.
They're a bit like car drivers who you know have seen you but are not going to give way when they should (same mentality)

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I just got fed up with getting out of the way of people who seemed to think they were somehow better than me and that I would move for them, stopping still just seems the better option than 'chinning' the ignorant feckers, they should look where they are walking. BTW I'm not talking about someone on an empty pavement but rather those idiots who see people walking the same way as them (whilst on their phones) and seem to walk past those fine but ignore someone walking towards them.
They're a bit like car drivers who you know have seen you but are not going to give way when they should (same mentality)
When we ascribe attitudes and opinions to complete strangers in the street how likely is it that we are correct I wonder?

Top Bottom