A rant.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
yes, I was riding in the middle of the lane.
no, the cars could not overtake me.
yes, that was deliberate.
no, I don't care if I annoy them, their state of mind is their own affair.
yes, I stopped because
i saw what happened and you looked distressed.
yes, the cycle lane is crap.
yes, it is ridiculous the way it stops short of the pinch point caused by the traffic island.
yes, the pseudo give-way lines where it ends are stupid.
no, I have no idea why there are more pseudo give-way lines when it starts again.
yes, stopping and giving way there is both ridiculous and dangerous.
no, that cycle lane is not compulsory.
yes, the nasty man in the nasty car did shout at you that it was.
yes, the nasty man is wrong.
no, I am very sure about that.
yes, you can ride on the pavement. If you are genuinely afraid and ride with consideration to pedestrians you should not be prosecuted.
yes, I am very sure about that too.
no there aren't many pedestrians either are there.
no, I don't give cycling lessons but I can tell you about a book and some training courses.

why, for feck's sake don't people just ignore the shite infrastructure, stop riding in the gutter, and learn to ride properly instead of allowing themsleves to be bullied by numpty highways departments and every feckin' car that passes them? By all means waft about on your shopping bike like it is Holland when it is like Holland but until then, when you're riding on a town centre A road GET SOME CYCLECRAFT!

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
You sound like you should take the place of Mr T in the next Snickers advert !!

I do agree with all you say, though.

Rahul Sapariya

Regular
I think in regards to cyclists riding safely on the road, most are deterred from riding in the middle because of a few reasons. One reason would be that a car can do real damage, another would be that car drivers beep and it can be a little intimidating.

I ride in the centre of the lane when I can but I really think that more cyclists should be given lessons on how to ride on the road. The amount of cyclists who just pull onto the road when they were on the pavement and nearly hitting me (me already having priority) is staggering. I really want there to be a television advert on cycling and cars that shows the laws of the road. I also think that those people who don't wish to ride in the centre of the road, and then they complain, should be given bikeability lessons to improve their confidence on the road. I teach bikeability and you learn the raw skills but you really need to just keep doing it. If you are a commuter then it is perfect because then you can ride the same patch of road each day and get used to when you go to primary position (centre of the lane) to take control over the lane and to make sure cyclists look and signal...it really can help when you are on the road.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
I used to cycle timidly, in the gutter, but I'm all right now.

Well, actually, no I'm not. I have probably swapped 5 incidents per day from careless idiots for 1 incident per day from aggressive bullies. It is certainly safer, but it is also extremely wearing, and I would be lying if I said that I enjoy cycling to work and back most days. The only reason I do it is because I don't want to put all that weight back on again.

I can well understand why someone who isn't as stubborn and pig-headed as I am would carry on cycling in the gutter, using the crap "facilities", and (metaphorically) doffing their cap to every idiot in a motor vehicle.

Rahul Sapariya

Regular

Well, actually, no I'm not. I have probably swapped 5 incidents per day from careless idiots for 1 incident per day from aggressive bullies. It is certainly safer, but it is also extremely wearing, and I would be lying if I said that I enjoy cycling to work and back most days. The only reason I do it is because I don't want to put all that weight back on again.

I can well understand why someone who isn't as stubborn and pig-headed as I am would carry on cycling in the gutter, using the crap "facilities", and (metaphorically) doffing their cap to every idiot in a motor vehicle.

You can enjoy cycling to work. Take the same route you take but when you need to, take the centre of the lane (looking back first to make sure it is safe to pull into the centre). Also make sure you are about 2 feet away from the curb...that should avoid gutters and rubbish and bits of glass that always end up there.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

I understand too, but I'll be darned if I will encourage them!:thumbsup:

MrHappyCyclist

You can enjoy cycling to work. Take the same route you take but when you need to, take the centre of the lane (looking back first to make sure it is safe to pull into the centre). Also make sure you are about 2 feet away from the curb...that should avoid gutters and rubbish and bits of glass that always end up there.
Why don't you actually read my post before replying?

400bhp

Guru

Why don't you think about varying your route? IIRC you cycle on mostly A roads. A change is as good as a rest and all that.

MrHappyCyclist

Why don't you think about varying your route? IIRC you cycle on mostly A roads. A change is as good as a rest and all that.
Yes, I might try that to make it more interesting now that summer's coming. The route I use is the most direct one and also allows me to keep up a good pace. There isn't a lot of choice without taking quite a bit longer, but it is worth a try.

snorri

Legendary Member
By all means waft about on your shopping bike like it is Holland when it is like Holland but until then, when you're riding on a town centre A road GET SOME CYCLECRAFT!

Methinks Mr Collins has not "wafted" on a cycle path in Holland and incurred the inevitable wrath of a Dutch cyclist, angrier than any UK driver.:biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom