Close passes - advice and a rant!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Posting this here as not sure where else to put it, so I'm sorry if this kind of thing isn't meant for this section of the forum. I'm terrified enough as it is on the roads but try to put it out of mind as I tend to have a good time when I'm out and credit where it's due, a lot of people are courteous. However, I was out yesterday morning just for a trip into town to pick something up - largely uneventful apart from my trip back right near home. On my way back there's a downhill under a rail bridge so the road is pretty narrow (and visibility is pretty poor for overtaking drivers) , followed by a short uphill with a couple of islands for ped crossings as you go over the motorway and then a longish drag before I turn off. I'm well away from this bit by the time something happened - the road was empty apart from me and a guy in a black BMW comes up from behind, slows and then passes so close I could have probably touched the car. It absolutely felt deliberate given there was ample space for him to cross to the opposite lane. Anyway it's shoot me up a bit and once again I'm terrified of putting my life in my hands just to go out for what should be an enjoyable cycle. I now can't stop thinking about this incident and keep thinking 'what if he'd hit me?'. :sad:

I really didn't want to have to get a camera because why should I? Its one more thing to have to carry plus its unlikely to stop people endangering me. Plus, it's sort of luck of the draw as to whether the police will even do anything with the footage (the area is covered by GMP).

Sorry for the rant. I guess I'm asking if we think me getting a camera will help me feel better about almost being run off the roads by self-gratification artists. I haven't been cycling all that long and I really don't want this kind of thing to make me stop doing it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Rant away. It helps to get it out of your system.
We have all been there in your situation wether on a commute, a club ride or just a simple pootle. It's not very nice in any circumstances. A lot of car drivers do think they're entitled and cyclists shouldn't be on the road. There are also those who just don't realise that passing close to a cyclist at any speed can be quite frightening. Whatever the situation it's not very nice for us cyclists. We shouldn't have to put up with it, but unfortunately until something is done, we do.
Will a camera help? Who knows? Probably just as good sticking a PassPixi sign to your clothing or bike pannier (if you have one).
If you feel a camera will give you better peice of mind when cycling, then yes get one.
But, try not to dwell on it the bad, try and let it go.
If you can, try and get back out there, do your thing and enjoy your cycling.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Rant away. It helps to get it out of your system.
We have all been there in your situation wether on a commute, a club ride or just a simple pootle. It's not very nice in any circumstances. A lot of car drivers do think they're entitled and cyclists shouldn't be on the road. There are also those who just don't realise that passing close to a cyclist at any speed can be quite frightening. Whatever the situation it's not very nice for us cyclists. We shouldn't have to put up with it, but unfortunately until something is done, we do.
Will a camera help? Who knows? Probably just as good sticking a PassPixi sign to your clothing or bike pannier (if you have one).
If you feel a camera will give you better peice of mind when cycling, then yes get one.
But, try not to dwell on it the bad, try and let it go.
If you can, try and get back out there, do your thing and enjoy your cycling.
Thanks :smile: it's still scary when in a group but at least everyone sees it - the road in question is a nightmare. It's a 30 but people drive much faster because there's not many houses. I did think about the pass pixi but I feel like a fraud with no camera! Though would someone coming up at speed really notice the camera? Probably not. Think I'll get one anyway as you can't really go wrong for a tenner can you.

The last time this happened it was next to a shared use path and that felt a bit deliberate as well and it stopped me going out on my own for a bit. I guess I'll just have to think about the positives I get from cycling and try to ignore the negatives!

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
With experience whilst these shouldn't be done, they happen. In many cases all the high viz and lights you can carry you will still see it happen. I myself (mainly because I'm bloody minded) have never done the shiny clothing and loads of lights thing and will just maintain my rightful place on the road and mot be bullied. In over 30 plus years I have never been killed or run over and have and do ride on everything except motorways. Some are not as pleasant and they could be however and prefer the country roads where possible.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
GMP eh. First hand experience of them here, as have others. They don't give a hoot about cyclists. They just said to me, your insurance will sort it, when a guy badly broke my spine. No charges at all.

I've even had an argument with a cyclist that does work for GMP. I said I and other friends can back it up with evidence that they don't care.

Just rant away and release the stress.

postman

Legendary Member
Rant away,one old tool clipped my bars with his wing mirror,the mark is still on to this day.My head came off and I followed him home,I went ballistic at him on his own driveway.I then calmed down,his garden was a mess,he was untidy,he stank stale,dogs inside the house were barking.I thought this bloke is ill.If he was he should not have been driving,I felt sorry for him and told him to be more aware of his surroundings I then left him to his sad life.Don't give up it may never happen again.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Rant away !
It's a horrible experience.

With a camera and living in Avon & Somerset I have some hope that such actions will have consequences for the drivers. An unsubmitted film of a close pass is a wasted opportunity to correct a bad driver.

As Ian said above, a PassPixi does help reduce close passes, in my experience. To the extent, sometimes, that I feel the need to encourage drivers to pass me when it is safe because some people seem to be intimidated into hanging back needlessly !

Having the sign without a camera is, after all, no different to having a "Baby on Board" sign in the back window of the car without the corresponding infant in its seat.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
To the extent, sometimes, that I feel the need to encourage drivers to pass me when it is safe because some people seem to be intimidated into hanging back needlessly !
Be very cautious about doing that and definitely make sure you have third-party insurance. The "overtake me" hand signal was removed from the highway code in the 1950s or 60s.

Other than that:
1. Ride central in narrow lanes,
2. Maybe a level 3 Bikeability training would help spot these nobbers earlier,
3. Some drivers are just awful and will not be dissuaded whatever you do,
4. Try not to worry about it and it's rare anything bad happens.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

GMP eh. First hand experience of them here, as have others. They don't give a hoot about cyclists. They just said to me, your insurance will sort it, when a guy badly broke my spine. No charges at all.

I've even had an argument with a cyclist that does work for GMP. I said I and other friends can back it up with evidence that they don't care.

Just rant away and release the stress.
From threads we've both commented on, I believe you probably know the road in question - it's windmill lane coming out of dane bank. I've had whoppers there try to squeeze me on the ped crossing islands so now I ride centrally there but didn't expect anything to happen where it did - just after the turn off for Oldham Street to go to Sainsbury's. Bloody awful road it is!

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Be very cautious about doing that and definitely make sure you have third-party insurance. The "overtake me" hand signal was removed from the highway code in the 1950s or 60s.

Other than that:
1. Ride central in narrow lanes,
2. Maybe a level 3 Bikeability training would help spot these nobbers earlier,
3. Some drivers are just awful and will not be dissuaded whatever you do,
4. Try not to worry about it and it's rare anything bad happens.
Thanks. I did have some cycle training which was helpful and I do ride centrally on narrow lanes or where there's pinch points and more generally I stay out of the gutter. Moron just seemed to take exception to me (see point 3 :laugh:). Will try and do more of point 4!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
A couple of reflections.

Firstly, from a purely rational perspective the benefit of you cycling from your overall health and wellbeing far outweighs any physical risk from close passes.

Secondly, from an emotional perspective it is very upsetting and stressful to suffer these. Perception of risk is what puts us off cycling, rather than the actual risk, which is low.

What has helped me is to "let go" of the bullying or idiotic behaviour that drivers take part in. I can't on my own change them, and chasing them down, arguing with them, banging on the roofs of their cars etc invariably has a negative impact on my own wellbeing - I often work over such incidents in my mind for hours or even days afterwards. It also actually increases my physical risk as they're surrounded by 2 tonnes of high powered vehicle and also, if they're behaving like a psychotic idiot, they may well actually be a psychotic idiot.

So I try to slow down, do some deep breathing exercises (if I'm not climbing a hill!) and make a conscious decision that their idiocy is not my direct concern. Merely being on the road is the best thing I can do as the more normalised cycling becomes, the less cyclists suffer this.

This is *NOT* advice - what helps me may not help you. My only advice is: don't let the bastards grind you down.

Top Bottom