ABC of Pubs and Cafes, 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Got A & B today. Was planning on A-F, but had a mishap shortly after B - https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/page-2197#post-7129954

Aubrey Arms

20240106_144743.jpg

Bush Inn

20240106_150355.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Got my B: Bloc, Holmfirth

Out on the monthly 'all members' club ride we were too many for one café as the usual one - which could have taken us all - is closed for a bit. Instead I visited Bloc, which is a bit pricey but nice.

Photo - bike (the green Viner Mitus), menu and the back of an Elliot's head

PXL_20240106_101633168.jpg

@Alex321 - I thought we were supposed to be stopping at them? If not I could've got many more.

Alex321

Veteran
Got my B: Bloc, Holmfirth

Out on the monthly 'all members' club ride we were too many for one café as the usual one - which could have taken us all - is closed for a bit. Instead I visited Bloc, which is a bit pricey but nice.

Photo - bike (the green Viner Mitus), menu and the back of an Elliot's head

View attachment 718174

@Alex321 - I thought we were supposed to be stopping at them? If not I could've got many more.

The rule don't mention that.

I wouldn't even consider attempting this challenge if that was a requirement, because I just hardly ever do stop at a pub, and there aren't enough different lettered cafes round here.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I actually started doing the A - Z of pubs a few years ago, then Covid came along & spoilt my fun :sad: Can't remember what letter I got up to , but I'm willing to start again :cheers:

Willd

Veteran
B today, The Blue Pig, Wolvey, part of which dates from the 15th Century history :becool:

2023-06-09 14.15.40.jpg

I'm sticking to one letter per ride, but B was an easy one, as I also passed:The Bear, The Bulls Head x2, The Black Horse & The Barley Mow, or one B about every 10 miles on average :okay: There was also The Boat, but that shut a couple of years ago.

The Axe & Compass
The Blue Pig

Last edited:

bluenotebob

Veteran
A winter one I did was an ABC of roadnames but made a bit complex by requiring something of note on the road so ruling out most of roads in suburbia and tin shed commerce,

That's an interesting idea, Mike .. did you just do it as a personal challenge ? .. or did you create a challenge thread?

Most of the smaller villages around here don't have street names - just house numbers. The larger villages and small towns do however - and I've never paid any attention to them. I will from now on - and see how many A to Z's I can find.

Mike_P

Guru
That's an interesting idea, Mike .. did you just do it as a personal challenge ? .. or did you create a challenge thread?

Most of the smaller villages around here don't have street names - just house numbers. The larger villages and small towns do however - and I've never paid any attention to them. I will from now on - and see how many A to Z's I can find.

Just a personal variation. Would have been too easy just using the road names hence the incorporation of something of note. Covered in the your ride today thread starting at https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-6585737

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I'd like to join this challenge if I may. It should stop me from lazily riding the same roads and routes on the monthly challenges and make me look more closely at my surroundings.
Yesterday's chilly ride did exactly that.
The Lower Angel - Warrington
Lq6stKqh.jpg

London Bridge - Stockton Heath
d6ACcIMh.jpg

Chapel House - Great Sankey
Dzdy7zuh.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
This challenge gave me the nudge to go out on a chilly day and grab a B and a C. Both in Taunton.

20240109_102536.jpg

20240109_103305.jpg

The Allerford Inn.
The Ring of Bells.
The Crown and Sceptre.

Last edited:
OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Once again this challenge gave me the impetus to get out on the bike.

Today was F,G and H, all within a 15 mile loop from home.

First The Farmer's Arms in Slough Green.

20240117_101956.jpg

Then The Greyhound in Staple Fitzpaine.
20240117_102959.jpg

Then the Half Moon in Stoke St Mary.

20240117_100015.jpg

I'm enjoying this!

Alex321

Veteran
C-F today, on a ride of only 11.9 miles.

Cross Inn, Llanblethian
20240120_141818.jpg

Duke of Wellington, Cowbridge
20240120_142258.jpg

Edmondes Arms, Cowbridge
20240120_142559.jpg

And the Farmers Arms, Aberthin
20240120_143007.jpg

I could have doubled back into Cowbridge for the Horse and Groom, then back here for the Hare & Hounds opposite.

So to date,
Aubrey Arms
Bush Inn
Cross Inn
Duke of Wellington
Edmondes Arms
Farmers Arms

Attachments

• 20240120_142603.jpg
    20240120_142603.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 3
Top Bottom