Accident advice - help needed please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enlightenedwaistcoat

I've read the thread on accident advice and can't find what I'm looking for. I was involved in a RTC yesterday when a woman pulled out of a side street on me. I was going uphill, she turned left and straight into me. I got all the details, there was a witness as well as my friend who was with me and was a great help. I went to hospital to get looked over and filed a report with the police when I got home. I wasn't a member of British cycling at the time of the incident but I've sorted that out now so I can make use of their legal assistance.

Does anyone know if I am indeed able to use their legal help if I joined after the incident had happened? And if anyone has any other solicitor recommendations that operate on a no win no fee type basis then they would be appreciated.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Not good. Are you ok ?

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I've been better 😂 don't want to say too much for obvious reasons (you never know who's looking for stuff do you) but that aside I just feel a bit sad and down about it. Cycling is my happy place and I just hope I can get back on and enjoy it again.

Oh Damn. Do you mean physically or mentally?

Best wishes and I; like all here are hoping everything turns out well I’m sure…..

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Oh Damn. Do you mean physically or mentally?

Best wishes and I; like all here are hoping everything turns out well I’m sure…..

Well nothing is broken, I'm just pretty sore. My bike still needs inspecting by someone but the rear wheel is knackered. Hospital said the pain was going to get worse before it gets better unfortunately!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've been better 😂 don't want to say too much for obvious reasons (you never know who's looking for stuff do you) but that aside I just feel a bit sad and down about it. Cycling is my happy place and I just hope I can get back on and enjoy it again.

My experience is one can be a little nervous and cautious after an incident of this type but confidence soon returns. I hope it proves to be the same for you.

As regards BC I'd be surprised if they cover you for this incident. I can't think of any insurance which covers one for an incident which took place prior to taking out the cover. You'll probably be able to get some advice.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

My experience is one can be a little nervous and cautious after an incident of this type but confidence soon returns. I hope it proves to be the same for you.

As regards BC I'd be surprised if they cover you for this incident. I can't think of any insurance which covers one for an incident which took place prior to taking out the cover. You'll probably be able to get some advice.

Fair enough. If I was to not go down the solicitor route, but still want to claim for the damage on the drivers insurance, what's the process? Is it something my home insurance can sort for example if I have legal cover?

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

If you have legal cover in your home policy then you should be able to use that.

Hope you get well soon and resume cycling.

So I'd just need to call my own insurance and they'd be able to help me deal with it? I'm still quite sore so in the first instance I will approach a solicitor I think

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I wasn't a BC member when I was knocked off my bike in 2018 and was advised to contact the company who were the BC solicitors and claim handlers at the time. They took on my case anyway in a no win no fee basis and were brilliant. No need to join BC to use them but Leigh Day was the firm, not sure if they are still the BC official firm or not.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

I wasn't a BC member when I was knocked off my bike in 2018 and was advised to contact the company who were the BC solicitors and claim handlers at the time. They took on my case anyway in a no win no fee basis and were brilliant. No need to join BC to use them but Leigh Day was the firm, not sure if they are still the BC official firm or not.

Thank you. I spoke to a friend who advised Leigh Day as well after she had to use them (they are still who BC use), it was more that the solicitor takes a cut rather than BC covering that. Anyway it seems like whatever happens I can probably get something sorted.

Sharky

Guru
If you are claiming off the other person's insurance, then I'm sure the BC lawyer firm, or any such firm would take your case on. If the other party were to claim off you, your insurance cover would need to be dated before the incident.

Good luck and have a speedy recovery.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Thank you. I spoke to a friend who advised Leigh Day as well after she had to use them (they are still who BC use), it was more that the solicitor takes a cut rather than BC covering that. Anyway it seems like whatever happens I can probably get something sorted.

Talk to them. It's been a couple of years now but I'm sure you get the full settlement and their fees are paid by the other party but they take out a small insurance policy in case you lose to cover the costs and that is taken out of your settlement?

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Talk to them. It's been a couple of years now but I'm sure you get the full settlement and their fees are paid by the other party but they take out a small insurance policy in case you lose to cover the costs and that is taken out of your settlement?

Ah right okay - I'll have a chat with them. A few people have told me to use them so seems the best course of action at the moment. Obviously it seems to be quicker going thru insurance but with me being injured and still not knowing what the damage to the bike is it doesn't seem the best idea right now. My friend tried the insurance thing and in the end went with LD who got it sorted in a matter of months.

Top Bottom