Accidents and incidents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dom_Cee

Hello
I'm just posting to see what problems people have had on the road while heading somewhere, its a massive problem i have found personally even with a visible vest on. Whats the worst thing thats happened? is it that cyclists need more visibility or drivers more awareness?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Drivers need to respect other road users more, but generally not too bad. Either I've grown to tolerate without noticing the lowest annoyances or maybe I've been lucky so far in avoiding it.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Hello
I'm just posting to see what problems people have had on the road while heading somewhere, its a massive problem i have found personally even with a visible vest on. Whats the worst thing thats happened? is it that cyclists need more visibility or drivers more awareness?
For your side of things it's a mix of being seen (which is both making yourself visible and using your positioning to accentuate that) and riding with confidence which is largely a matter of experience. The reasons this is particularly important include the fact that enough road users don't know, or just don't care sufficiently about, what is around them.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ive found the more I look like a cyclist the more stick I get . If I wear jeans and a baseball cap no one bothers me , if I wear a helmet and high vis the bully drivers seem to appear . Looking like a bloke on a bike seems to work for me .

vickster

Legendary Member
Whats the worst thing thats happened? is it that cyclists need more visibility or drivers more awareness?

I got knocked off, lights, hi viz. Driver got too close overtaking, caught my handlebar, I ended up in hospital (well three different hospitals)

In central London rush hour, personally I find the sheer number of cyclists as much of a menace as the drivers :ph34r:

vickster

Legendary Member
I think mine was a misjudge (of my wobbliness out of the saddle getting through a vile road junction) rather than a SMIDSY

I must be fairly lucky, as I don't seem to have many problems when out and about. The odd close pass, or motorist who may not be as observant as they should be.
I don't do anything special to avoid incidents, I mainly ride in a good secondary position which I will change to primary when required. I have good lights for the dark mornings/nights but never wear hi viz. Always acknowledge patient motorists with a thumbs up or wave.
Maybe I'm just lucky.

clid61

Veteran
Rode home from a 12 hour night shift this morning , battering it from Pem into Wigan , car(s) behind absolutely sound , seemed to know id get blown about ! Big hands up thank you for staying back and were on our way ! All happy commuters !

Hip Priest

Veteran
I must be fairly lucky, as I don't seem to have many problems when out and about. The odd close pass, or motorist who may not be as observant as they should be.
I don't do anything special to avoid incidents, I mainly ride in a good secondary position which I will change to primary when required. I have good lights for the dark mornings/nights but never wear hi viz. Always acknowledge patient motorists with a thumbs up or wave.
Maybe I'm just lucky.

I'm the same. But I'm guessing we're both reasonably fit and ride at a decent pace. I imagine that slower riders get a lot more grief off motorists. I tend to agree with the maxim that if the road isn't safe enough for an 8 year old to cycle on, then it isn't safe enough.

boydj

Legendary Member
For your side of things it's a mix of being seen (which is both making yourself visible and using your positioning to accentuate that) and riding with confidence which is largely a matter of experience. The reasons this is particularly important include the fact that enough road users don't know, or just don't care sufficiently about, what is around them.
Good road positioning is the key. It should put you where drivers are looking and prevent overtakes where space is tight.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I don't believe I've ever seen, or been involved in, an 'accident' in a lifetime of cycling. Incidents yes, but not accidents.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hello
I'm sorry for you that cycling has brought massive problems with traffic.It really shouldn't.

Perhaps, if you can, maybe outline the problems you have had and we can help to solve them

If it helps (and I appreciate this will sound smug, but I can assure you its not) I've only had one incident in around 5 years of riding through the thick end of London every week and I think much of that is down to attitude and confidence.

if you are riding in town too, then we have published a guide that is designed just for you.
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-essential-guide-for-new-commuters.56622/

take care

J

Top Bottom