Acer Aspire £650 doorstop...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
This was going to be a rant but I've just spent 2 hours with Acer's helpdesk... now I need alcohol.
My daughter bought an Acer Aspire couple of years ago with XP ( Media Centre ...operating system whatever that is) preloaded and Acer provided Vista disks free subsequently as an upgrade ( hollow laugh) It buggered the whole system and she said "here y'are Dad fix it ... " like they do!!
I just reformatted it and reloaded XP pro but of course no Modem/ Sound drivers and no sign of them on Acers site or anywhere else. Acer said, just access the recovery partition (Alt/F10 ) its all there, I said no is not cos it was wiped at reformat, can you sell me the drivers if you wont give me a full URL path, they said sure £50 please :smile:.:ohmy:. I wondered if anyone else might have been down this road.?? or bought 3rd party recovery disks?
BTW yes she did make a recovery disk but there don't seem to be drivers on it?? Amazing how its really easy to stay calm and unstressed until yer PC goes wrong:evil: Exits stage left to bite lumps out of the furniture....Cant even go for a ride, its raining sideways in lumps here

domtyler

Über Member
Have you considered going down the Linux route?

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
domtyler said:

The only route I'm going down Dom is round the corner to the pub!!:smile:

Seriously though, no I hadnt, but wont I still need Acers drivers to get the thing fired up?? At the moment I have a really pretty string of yellow question marks on Device Manager "Other"....

Please tell 'em not to Uncle M, my wife has it on hers and I regularly hear similar cries of anguish floating round the house.

yello

domtyler said:

+1, as they say.

My wife's Acer Aspire was running Vista but was as slow as something that's real slow... I know, an Acer Aspire running Vista!

Anyways, I formatted it and loaded Ubuntu; a wee tweak to get wireless working and it's now flying. I have no idea what Vista does (or why) but it must be a real resource hog.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
andyoxon said:
Bob,

have you seen this... including links to drivers.
Installing Windows XP Professional SP2 on Acer Aspire 5315-2153 Laptop
http://soulpass.com/2007/11/10/inst...essional-sp2-on-acer-aspire-5315-2153-laptop/

My Dad has an Acer (1Gb RAM) with Vista , and is struggling - so I'm interested in this. We have XP media ed, and sticking with it...:smile:

Andy

My heart skipped a beat there Andy but my daughters is a 9300 athough theres a sticker on it that says 9301AWSMi:wacko:. My wifes got an identical one with Vista on it but XP wins ( won:sad:) hands down. Had I known that the hard drive had all the recovery stuff on a discrete partition I might not have reformatted and wiped the lot: I suppose you could leave Vista on there, create a partition and stick XP on as well, but that's a bit advanced for me...

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
yello said:
+1, as they say.

My wife's Acer Aspire was running Vista but was as slow as something that's real slow... I know, an Acer Aspire running Vista!

Anyways, I formatted it and loaded Ubuntu; a wee tweak to get wireless working and it's now flying. I have no idea what Vista does (or why) but it must be a real resource hog.

Can you just pop over next weekend please yello???..........

bobg said:
My heart skipped a beat there Andy but my daughters is a 9300 athough theres a sticker on it that says 9301AWSMi:wacko:. My wifes got an identical one with Vista on it but XP wins ( won:sad:) hands down. Had I known that the hard drive had all the recovery stuff on a discrete partition I might not have reformatted and wiped the lot: I suppose you could leave Vista on there, create a partition and stick XP on as well, but that's a bit advanced for me...

I'll have to find out which Acer he has.

Not sure if this is a good idea... but have you thought about reinstalling Vista from ACER disks and then repeating the XP downgrade without reformat...? See link...

How to downgrade from vista to xp on my Acer Aspire 9301AWSMi?
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080218050148AAqH5gA

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
andyoxon said:
I'll have to find out which Acer he has.

Not sure if this is a good idea... but have you thought about reinstalling Vista from ACER disks and then repeating the XP downgrade without reformat...? See link...

How to downgrade from vista to xp on my Acer Aspire 9301AWSMi?
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080218050148AAqH5gA

Hmmm... no. Not sure if the Vista upgrade discs she got was the full operating system?? I doubt it knowing how the manufacturers hate proving full systems these days. and even if it was how would I know:sad:
The Acers site doesnt seem to offer the Invilink modem driver anyway so no amount of changing systems 'll get me over that hurdle. They made the b....y thing, you'd think it wouldnt be a big deal to provide them!!!

are you sure the recovery partition has gone? or could you have just re-formatted the partition with the os on it?
driverguide.com might be a source for your missing drivers.

cheers,
velocidad.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Velo, yup the partition's gone, I spent about 1/2 hour pressing Alt and F10 at start up which should access it but no joy. Acer confirmed that reformat would wipe it

Dom, yeah, youd think so but the modem is an Invilink and its not on Acers drop down menu.
I just popped into a local repair shop and he said that the only option would be to use my Vista upgrade disks and then use my wifes recovery disks ... I'd have to put up with Vista but thats better than a doorstop ( just)
Thanks all for the ideas/suggestions.

Top Bottom