Adult-sized trikes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
I have a friend who has balance problems and was wondering if anyone knows of a place from which a trike could be hired?
Long shot I know.
Thanks.

Gromit

Über Member
Cycle Magic may be able to give you a hand there. I'm sure Hilldodger will be around soon.

Beware.....

This is not always the easy answer that it sounds. Trikes can be difficult to handle on adverse cambers, and in some cases people are ubnable to cpope with this handling.

Your decision to try is excellent....

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
Thanks for the replies and comments.
Have been on the London Recumbents and Pashley websites.
Obviously he would like to try out before buying.
Have already apprised him about the handling 'challenges'!

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Kevin at D-Tek in Little Thetford, near Ely, has dozens of trikes that people can buy.

As Cunobelin said, upright trikes can be hard to balance on. Recumbent trikes are easy. Kevin will allow you/your friend to try out lots of different ones and see what suits, if anything.

grhm

Veteran
Cunobelin said:
Beware.....

This is not always the easy answer that it sounds. Trikes can be difficult to handle on adverse cambers, and in some cases people are ubnable to cpope with this handling.

Your decision to try is excellent....

I'd definitely second the adverse cambers handling issues. When riding my wifes trike on a few stretches of road around here, the only way I can cope is to stand out of the saddle and try to ignore the saddle moving left and right with camber changes - it almost becomes a confidence test, ignore it all and keep steering in a straight line and you'll be ok.

Plus, on a staight 'flat' road, the left leaning camber means that if I stop paying attention, I vere left and mount the pavement.

That said - give it a try. They may love it. If you/they are ever up this way or passing, you're welcome to have a go on our old Pashley.

grhm said:
I'd definitely second the adverse cambers handling issues.

In our experience this doesn't effect everyone - especially if they don't ride a two wheeler. Almost everyone can overcome it with a bit of practice and determination.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I know someone whose daughter is outgrowing her Pashley Polo? - aged about 10, 5 ft ish. Is her next step an adult tricycle?

grhm

Veteran
Hilldodger said:
In our experience this doesn't effect everyone - especially if they don't ride a two wheeler. Almost everyone can overcome it with a bit of practice and determination.

I heard this. My main problem is teying to unlearn/ignore my sense of two-wheeled balance. If bike is leaning left, I'm going left. The trike is leaning left, means nothing.

I'm getting better with practice - to the OP, give it a go you may never look back.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I would say she is nearing the top range of that but she doesn't do speed or cool, she is more sort of very precise, does every thing by the rule book (I've seen her signal - she has a little flick at the end of the signal making it very graceful:biggrin:).

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
Again, thanks everyone. I'll definitely recommend the Mission Cycles website to him.
And Alec': thanks so much, but that trike would not be suitable. The man has a learning disability and I feel that something more sedate and utilitarian would be much more suitable.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hilldodger said:

Indeed, I've seen a granny who couldn't ride a bike get on ok with a trike, and her cocky little git of a grandson, who could ride a bike, and was very dismissive of his gran, couldn't get the thing to go 10 yards in a straight line. Never having ridden a bike is a good start to tricycling.

Saw Cash in the Attic earlier this week, a girls school in Harrogate were rasing money to buy some garden furniture for a local special school - thanks to the unexpected value of a pair of really ugly chairs, they were able to raise the money for a trike as well, the kids were loving it.

Top Bottom