Advice needed - Bike seized

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
As most have said - don't worry about the serial number. Go in with your proof of purchase that you do have and that should be enough.

As for commenting on the decision made to seize your bike - as I want there I won't! However what I would like people to consider is the fact that clearly the police thought they were doing the right thing - there is no other possible reason they would have seized the bike!

My bike was coded by the cops,but what does that prove as I haven't got the receipt although I know where I bought it from new.So what should I do,take frame numbers? What does this prove if someone decided to come up with the same allegations?

Even if I took pictures and thumb prints and posted it in the new bike thread?

classic33

Leg End Member
My bike was coded by the cops,but what does that prove as I haven't got the receipt although I know where I bought it from new.So what should I do,take frame numbers? What does this prove if someone decided to come up with the same allegations?

They should be keeping a record of the frame number & the number they put in place, as well as when it was done

Yep, if you are that worried I would suggest a simple solution is to email yourself the frame numbers. You will have a time stamped email showing the frames of your bikes.

You could also then upload them to one of the websites mentioned in this thread on case they do get stolen.

OP's experience should not be taken as "the norm" though!

Is there any word on whether the other party in this kept insisting it was their bike?

A clue to ownership would have been Simpso not riding off initially and then keeping on at the Police to get his bike back. Hardly the actions of a thief. The others stood there, after seemingly chancing on 'their' bike at random, and yet having the receipt and a picture of something stolen 6 months ago, just seems implausible.

Will the Police be checking to see if these chancers have tried this before?

OP
OP
S

simpso

Noooo the saga continues.
Phoned the station for an update. The sarge I spoke to is now off for the weekendd.
It's all down as the bike should be returned to me but a new officer (who this hasbeen passed on to) has not signed whatever form yet to release.
He isn't on unti four tonight .
Hmphh

JMAG

Über Member
Ask for the duty inspector @simpso. You have been too accommodating thus far IMO. Your accusers have not proven the bike is theirs and you should not be made to constantly waste your time waiting for officers to come back from days off, lunch or toilet breaks!

I wonder if they have mislaid the bike? If it's not where it should be in the impound lot, they may be making these pathetic excuses in the hope it turns up somewhere else.

Yes, I'm very distrustful.

Edit: I'd be asking for the price of a new replacement (current equivalent model from Halfords) a this point. Then they can do whatever they want with the other bike.

Noooo the saga continues.
Phoned the station for an update. The sarge I spoke to is now off for the weekendd.
It's all down as the bike should be returned to me but a new officer (who this hasbeen passed on to) has not signed whatever form yet to release.
He isn't on unti four tonight .
Hmphh

Your patience and self control does you credit. I'm placid, but I reckon I would probably have been threatened with arrest by now, because I would have been highlighting the ridiculous situation very strongly.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I wonder if they have mislaid the bike? If it's not where it should be in the impound lot, they may be making these pathetic excuses in the hope it turns up somewhere else.

Yes, I'm very distrustful.

Edit: I'd be asking for the price of a new replacement (current equivalent model from Halfords) a this point. Then they can do whatever they want with the other bike.

I'm starting to wonder if the OP is being deliberately stalled for some reason.

Perhaps the coppers have lost the bike, two forces involved, and I've known things to go missing from police property stores.

Alternatively, the three amigos may be making what the coppers see as a good case for the bike being theirs.

But if that were the case, I'd expect the investigating officer to want to see the OP's proof of ownership sooner rather than later.

TreeHuggery

As with everyone above, I think you've stayed amazingly calm, and you really do need to take it up a level - it's now been the equivalent of a working week...and you're getting passed from pillar to post with everyone telling you different things, and it changing at least on a daily basis if not more.
Not sure if you are more stressed, p'eed off than you're letting on, but we're all stressed for you.. Really do think you ought to take the advice of others on here and make a complaint..
Sincerely hope it gets sorted out for you today

Top Bottom