Advice on 7stanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cp40Carl

Über Member
Going up to Galloway Forest, Scotland, next year and keen on trying 7stanes routes. However, my usual cycling is mixed road and occasional off road on generally flat pathways and cycle routes. I have a hybrid Felt QX60 (no suspension springs). Whilst a regular cyclist, I do not have MTB training (or skills).

Grateful for advice as thought I would try the 7stanes green and blue routes from Kirroughtree but concerned my hybrid not suitable and may need to hire something with MTB suspension for the day. Also, will I be need training or should I just get stuck in and hope for the best?

Any advice gratefully received...

Cubist

Still wavin'
Kirry is a great trail, and the blue route is a corker. It does however mix in with bits of red route in places for a red/blue mix or taster. There are bits of it which would be quite challenging to a novice on any sort of bike. I say challenging, but bear in mind that on any MTB trail, the only limiter is the rider's experience or willingness to "have a go" ...... there are no rules to say you've got to shred it all.... it's perfectly possible (and acceptable) to get off and push the bits you can't/don't want to ride. Before you get hung up on whether the bike is right, you need to know how well you would be able to enjoy getting round trails other than "flat pathways and cycle routes". You've got North Wales on your doorstep, so why not pop over to Llandegla and try the blues and greens there? They are broadly similar to Kirroughtree.

If I were to visit somewhere like Kirry, I'd like to think I was going to:
a) survive. This is not an issue, your fitness and current bike will get you round the blues and greens in one piece.
b) enjoy myself. That's down to your attitude. The environment is awesome and there's good cake in the cafe.
c) get the most out of the trip. Here's where you may want to borrow/hire/get yourself a budget mountain bike and get some trail experience in. You don't need training as such, you learn as you go along on blues and greens, but trust me, bombing at decent speed on a well-made and designed trail is far more fun than pootling.

You can hire bikes at 'Degla. and you never know, you might get bitten by the bug.

OP
OP
Cp40Carl

Cp40Carl

Über Member
Kirry is a great trail, and the blue route is a corker. It does however mix in with bits of red route in places for a red/blue mix or taster. There are bits of it which would be quite challenging to a novice on any sort of bike. I say challenging, but bear in mind that on any MTB trail, the only limiter is the rider's experience or willingness to "have a go" ...... there are no rules to say you've got to shred it all.... it's perfectly possible (and acceptable) to get off and push the bits you can't/don't want to ride. Before you get hung up on whether the bike is right, you need to know how well you would be able to enjoy getting round trails other than "flat pathways and cycle routes". You've got North Wales on your doorstep, so why not pop over to Llandegla and try the blues and greens there? They are broadly similar to Kirroughtree.

If I were to visit somewhere like Kirry, I'd like to think I was going to:
a) survive. This is not an issue, your fitness and current bike will get you round the blues and greens in one piece.
b) enjoy myself. That's down to your attitude. The environment is awesome and there's good cake in the cafe.
c) get the most out of the trip. Here's where you may want to borrow/hire/get yourself a budget mountain bike and get some trail experience in. You don't need training as such, you learn as you go along on blues and greens, but trust me, bombing at decent speed on a well-made and designed trail is far more fun than pootling.

You can hire bikes at 'Degla. and you never know, you might get bitten by the bug.

Thanks for the info, this is really useful. I'm inclined to hire some bikes so that I can have a bit more fun once I'm there (hard suspension on my hybrid might also be too painful!). I think my 15yr old son may enjoy it too so thanks for your advice.

cubby

Über Member
Just back from a 5 day break in Scotland, 2 mile from Kirroughtree trail head which is my favourite of the 7 Stanes, Rode the Red every day which is a great trail, Took my 11 year old lad round with me on one of the days too who managed well although he had front suspension. My opinion would be to hire bikes as the Blue sections can be quite rough in places from the hardcore thats down ..... The Breakpad bike shop is at the start of the trails and offer a good selection of bikes to hire ..... Oh and there's a great cafe at the end too for coffee and cake :smile:

If your staying in that area there is also the Green Tor trail at Glentrool which is only 6 mile long but a nice loop and would be fine on a hybrid ... :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cp40Carl

Cp40Carl

Über Member
Just back from a 5 day break in Scotland, 2 mile from Kirroughtree trail head which is my favourite of the 7 Stanes, Rode the Red every day which is a great trail, Took my 11 year old lad round with me on one of the days too who managed well although he had front suspension. My opinion would be to hire bikes as the Blue sections can be quite rough in places from the hardcore thats down ..... The Breakpad bike shop is at the start of the trails and offer a good selection of bikes to hire ..... Oh and there's a great cafe at the end too for coffee and cake :smile:

If your staying in that area there is also the Green Tor trail at Glentrool which is only 6 mile long but a nice loop and would be fine on a hybrid ... :smile:

Great, thanks for this additional info, very helpful. I can't wait to get up,there.

Take midge repellant. Lots and lots of midge repellant. Possibly a mosquito net hat/mask thing if it's really really bad, depending one what time of year you're going.
Anything with 50% DEET will probably work well, but remember DEET is nasty, toxic stuff, plus it will also eat plastic/rubber.
Smidge is expensive, and seems to be very effective... and doesn't contain DEET.
Some people still claim to have success with Avon skin so soft. I've used this. I don't know if it works as a repellant (suspect they no longer put whatever ingredient had an effect in there nowadays), or if the things just drown in the stuff on your skin... it's better than not using anything, though.

Racheluk

Regular
What they says - plenty of midges, so might be an idea to take repellent, plus don't be afraid to stop and walk sections, or let other riders past. Don't feel compelled to ride scary sections just to fit in - it should be fun!

gasinayr

Über Member
If you want to use your Hybrid bike, have a look at the Galloway Grand Tour at Glentrool 44mls off road circular route with cafes at Glentrool and Clatteringshaw visitor centres.

Cubist

Still wavin'
If you want to use your Hybrid bike, have a look at the Galloway Grand Tour at Glentrool 44mls off road circular route with cafes at Glentrool and Clatteringshaw visitor centres.
Good shout, I looked at that last time we were up there, but didn't actually ride it. Takes in some incredible scenery and forest rides.

Top Bottom