Advice on video/camcorders.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I was about to buy a Panasonic HD video camera today that had a hard drive and could also use memory cards. The problem was, I'd chosen the one I wanted but despite there being about 8 members of staff and only one other customer wandering around, no-one came to speak to me in the 20 minutes I was there (and no, I had a sniff and I never so ner). I assumed they must not want the business and left the shop. I won't mention the name but it goes well with rice. Anyway, as I left, I was quite pleased as I don't know anything about video cameras and might have made a mistake. So, here's my question; I want a camcorder, I'll go up to £500 if necessary but will pay £100 if it does what I want. I want it for general use such as our upcoming holiday and for larking around and I won't be wanting to use it on a bike but it should be light and small. It should have a flip screen but I don't care if it's High Def or not. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with these things to push me in one direction or another? Is a hard drive necessary or is an SD card sufficient?

Basically, HELP!

All I would say is try before you buy, including plugging the camcorder into a tv at the shop and recording for a minute and watching it back. Different models have different levels of compression artifacts. HDD camcorders are very practical with loads of storage and you can transfer data to a computer easily and faster than realtime. Since everyone is pretty much used to the over compression used on sky/freeview/virgin the compression artifacts don't seem too bad to most people. Compare a few different ones you like in a shop including SD and if you like what you see go for it. I talked a guy at work into getting a miniDV one a while ago by bringing mine into work and him then looking at the HDD/SD cameras in the shop :rofl: but it matched his needs.

More confused? Right, now to talk about comparing image processing and indoor performance...:ohmy:

Top Bottom