advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayfud

My 9 yr old daughter has been bitten by the cycling bug.
She has her own road bike and at the moment we are doing just over 4 miles a day. As in a ride before I go to work. Today we went after as well so she has done 8 miles.
What sort of distances should I be looking at?
As I don't want her to over do it
Thanks

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As far as she wants to go. It's as simple as that.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Get her used to longer rides although I'd suggest slowly and steadily. She'll enjoy both being with Dad and the challenge, but be aware that she'll get tired faster than she realises.

Over the past year we've done a few of the short club runs - up to 40 miles - that my own club has plus a 28-mile 'short' sportive.

Also, is there a local club which does kid's sessions? ; my 10 year-old's been at Kirklees Cycling Academy for a year and he's now racing. He has benefitted massively from being around other children and there's a good mix of boys and girls at that age group.

Peter Cairns

My nine year old regularly came out with me on his 15" wheels, we would do anything from 5-10 miles, occasionally more. He is now riding a 24" wheel and has done a 16 mile trip so far.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
As your daughter can do 8 miles at the moment, and she enjoys it, add a mile or two so she can get to the ten mile banner. This will not only encourage her but make her confident in her abilities. Don't over do it though, and be prepared to turn around early for home if, and when she tires.

byegad

Legendary Member
Yup. As far as she wants. A friends daughter approx 11yrs old insisted on joining an informal recumbent trike ride on her KMX. (For upwrong riders, that's a very heavy trike by any standard.) She not only managed the 45 or so miles without any troubles but then spent the evening riding around the camping site like she'd not done 45 miles that day.

OP
OP
J

jayfud

Thanks for all the advice it is much appreciated.
My daughter loves cycling and I don't want her to have a bad experience.
I live out in the sticks and have a circuit of just over 4 miles to do and a longer one we have not tried yet.
Thanks again

jackjack701

instead of a 10 mile circuit

how about a 5mile 'attraction'' .... park/zoo whatever

gives her a 'goal' to reach and a nice ride home

This is also another very good idea, as I find it easier to cycle somewhere if I have a goal/target.

Also consider keeping the same distance, but include more hills and challenges to make the route a bit more difficult. But don't go too extreme at first.

Top Bottom