AFC Wimbledon - congratulations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
that's it, really. 4th promotion in seven years, and second promotion in succession. They're now only one promotion from the Football League, and the prospect of chasing the team that calls itself the MK Dons.

For those of you who don't know, a scruffy little Southern League team called Wimbledon rose all the way to the top division of the Football League, and won the FA Cup some twenty years ago. Their owners managed to make a complete horlicks of the finances, sold the ground and moved the club to (gasp) Milton Keynes. Wimbledon supporters raised the cash to buy a football ground and started their own club. The result, AFC Wimbledon, has been an extraordinary success.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Good for them. Where do they play assuming Plough Lane went to the developers?
Now we have to wait for Manchester FC (?) to do the same!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
User1314 said:
Yes. Excellent.

It's my kids' team - I make sure I take them down to watch them play a few times each season, to make sure they support a decent football team. £10 for an adult and a kid for a quid.

They are based in Kingston now, half-hour walk from where I live. They own the pitch that used to be held by Kingstonian. Though they still have dreams to move back to Wimbledon.

Great crowd you get with them - friendly, inclusive and wise. Just how you imagine Great Uncle Bulgaria to be. (He was the head, wasn't he?)

I'll bet it's tidy.:becool:

yello

After Plough Lane was sold, The 'dons ground shared with Crystal Palace for many years.

AFC Wimbledon play at Kingsmeadow near Kingston. Never been there myself but I have been to both Plough Lane and Selhurst Park. I used to live in Wimbledon Park, near Plough Lane, but was a more regular attender of the dog track!!

I actually was at Wimbledon's FA Cup final win, managing to get tickets through my flatmate's dad. I remember walking up to Wembley and seeing all the scousers trying to climb the walls and get in (some managed it!) and thinking for a moment that I should give my ticket away - it seemed to matter more to them that to me.... but it was only a momentary thought! It's the 2nd FA Cup final I've been too, having got tickets to the infamous 'and Smith must score' 1982 Brighton v Man U final replay.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
yello said:
to the infamous 'and Smith must score' 1982 Brighton v Man U final replay.

Did you have to bring that up:angry::becool:

I was there too, right by the Royal Box - if only that twat Smith had scored!

I was also at the replay when we got stuffedxx(

johnnyh

Veteran
yep fair play to them, and to their fans. Top job!

saw them when they came to play Bath earlier in the season, cracking game that saw AFC Womble snatch a draw with a late goal. Certainly wish them and their supporters all the very best for further progression.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
yello said:
Speaking of grounds Rich, are Brighton still at the local rec? What a poxy ground that is!! :tongue:

It's actually the local running track and, yes, it is still poxy! The new ground is being built as we speak as long as the money doesn't run out. A bastard of a chairman called Bill Archer sold the Goldstone Ground and left us homeless. How the FA coul;d let that happen is beyond me. It's now a retail park with Comet, ToysrUS and DFS, while we had to ground share all over the south east. The bastard owns Focus DIY so feel free to join me in a boycott!

Maz

Guru
Yes, I remember the Wimbledon team of the late 80s/early 90s...many of their players later signed for the team I support, Sheff Utd, in the early 1990's (Vinney Jones, Alan Cork, Brian Gayle), no doubt due to the Dave Bassett connection.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
My brother an I grew up Wimbledon fans and used to get so much stick in the 80's (other than 88 obviously) for not supporting Liverpool or Everton with all the other glory hunting 10 year olds.

After Uni my brother moved back to Kingston and we started regularly going to most games especially after the MK Dons/AFC Wimbledon split... But he has now moved away from the area and Folkestone to Kings meadow is a hell of a journey every weekend!

Cant wait till we pass the MK Dons in the league... few more years and we will be there!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Congrats to 'em!

Actually went to see a match a few months ago (mate's day out as his missus was with the girls having a "baby-shower" (oh please) and he's a Don's fan) - was a sell out and we couldn't get in! Never thought I'd see the day that you couldn't get into an Wimbledon. :tongue:

It was against 2nd place Chelmsford or something (one of those Essex towns anyway) however. So a top of the table clash!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
rich p said:
I'll bet it's tidy.:tongue:

I'm told that it is tidy They had a promotion party in the car park, and, the day after, fans turned up and tidied it all up!

Top Bottom