After the Linear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
A few more recommendations for the checklist. Got to wait and see what the universe makes accessible, to try for size.
The HPV Spirit 16/20 was my first 'bent. Very underrated. Been tempted to buy one again, but if the seat breaks you're stuck because HPV no longer have parts.
Is the seat a known weak point on these then? Usually it's the height that causes me problems! With recumbents being so rare, and many discontinued over the years, most problems can be fixed, or prevented, with a bit of ingenuity.

Seat height is only part of the equation… with an appropriately shaped seat base that allows you to get a leg down you can manage quite high seats. I’ve never seen an HPV Spirit but I did have two BikeEs and the seat base was shaped such as it was very easy to get your feet down… and the frame design was such that as the seat was slid forward, the height became less (the Spirit frame looks like it would do the same). The hammock style seat on the PDQ did if for me, otherwise I’d have kept it.

PaulM

Guru
A few more recommendations for the checklist. Got to wait and see what the universe makes accessible, to try for size.

Is the seat a known weak point on these then? Usually it's the height that causes me problems! With recumbents being so rare, and many discontinued over the years, most problems can be fixed, or prevented, with a bit of ingenuity.

It's a rather complicated and unique seat. But not a weak point to my knowledge.

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
A triangular seat cushion rather than a square one is more user friendly.

I think any posters might as well assume that my height is 5 feet nothing because it only takes an inch or two extra from my actual height to make a bike unrideable. This way, there is a margin for error.

yostumpy

Veteran
Lightening P38 is another contender, but I doubt you will find one, or even the slightly chunkier Phantom Where are you based. London wasn't it? If you look on Facebook and search the 'recumbent Duo' they are based in maidstone and have 2 Giro 20's (albeit electric assist, and grasshoppers) If you message them, and explain your dilema, I'm sure they would be willing for you to have a sit on them to gauge height etc. Friendly folk, they are.

Last edited:
OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
N + 1
HP Velotechnik Spirit 16/20 in my garden in leafy Cheshire.
Naked Spirit 6.JPG

Naked Spirit 3.JPG

Fulfils nearly all the criteria.

1. Lowish seat. Adjustability to pedals suitable for a shorty, not too much seat recline or at least, some adjustability.

2. Good gear range, or the ability to change things to get it the way I want it.

3. Bottom bracket not too high.

4.Possibly rear suspension.

5. USS? OSS.

6.Luggage capacity.

7. Made in the 21st century.

8. Versatile enough to be able to be ridden on unmade surfaces, with mudguard clearances.

9. Value for money!

Dual suspension, mudguards, rear rack, kick stand.
It has plenty of extras. Disc brakes, SON hub dynamo with Supernova headlight. Underseat pannier frames.

Everything has been adjusted to fit. Still not too sure about the bar height, feel that I have to reach up yet they’re a bit close. Will ride it for a bit and see how it goes. Need a ride to suss out fine adjustments and gearing. There's a lot of adjustability, particularly the seat base and recline. Got to do something about that front light bracket. Previous owner had some sort of fairing, needs to come back a bit, within the limitations of foot flash.

Otherwise, it all looks promising.

Attachments

• Naked Spitit 4.JPG
    Naked Spitit 4.JPG
    331.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

grldtnr

Not keen on the 'Hamster' bars, maybe coz I am used to bumsteer bars on the trike, was after a Veloteck streetglider, but gave up on it cos of the 'hamster' bars, money was in my pocket with the intention to buy.....

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
Are those indeed "hamster" bars? I thought that they'd be a bit narrower, though when I tried them, "hamster" is what came to mind. They place your elbows quite close to your body. Last year I tried a pair of cockpit bars on a Dawes Low Rider and liked them a lot, so that might be an option, even if I have to turn the stem round.

Looks good to me! I’ve had something similar, the rather earlier and more primitive BikeE AT (two in fact…) and fitted more backswept bars (like you had on your Dawes) and that made a big difference to comfort. Some regrets at selling it but I believe it’s enjoying a much better life down in London.

grldtnr

N + 1
HP Velotechnik Spirit 16/20 in my garden in leafy Cheshire.
View attachment 692414

View attachment 692411
Fulfils nearly all the criteria.

1. Lowish seat. Adjustability to pedals suitable for a shorty, not too much seat recline or at least, some adjustability.

2. Good gear range, or the ability to change things to get it the way I want it.

3. Bottom bracket not too high.

4.Possibly rear suspension.

5. USS? OSS.

6.Luggage capacity.

7. Made in the 21st century.

8. Versatile enough to be able to be ridden on unmade surfaces, with mudguard clearances.

9. Value for money!

Dual suspension, mudguards, rear rack, kick stand.
It has plenty of extras. Disc brakes, SON hub dynamo with Supernova headlight. Underseat pannier frames.

Everything has been adjusted to fit. Still not too sure about the bar height, feel that I have to reach up yet they’re a bit close. Will ride it for a bit and see how it goes. Need a ride to suss out fine adjustments and gearing. There's a lot of adjustability, particularly the seat base and recline. Got to do something about that front light bracket. Previous owner had some sort of fairing, needs to come back a bit, within the limitations of foot flash.

Otherwise, it all looks promising.

Is it yours tho ' Twiddler? Being a Long leg I don't generally have issues with sizing on recumbents, apart from chain length and pedal position.

To be honest, my preference is for trikes regards recumbents, I have tried some solo's , but in interest in road safety, it's 3 wheels over 2 every time me.

And I need another bike like a fish needs to go Angling !!!!!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
They are not hamster bars. Look like fairly standard bars that you might find on a hybrid. The light bracket is indeed an interesting setup. Enjoy your new ride, tyres look like lots of volume for a comfy ride.

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
So, @grldtnr , having found that rarity, a bike that fits, has a decent specification, has most of what I was looking for and was at an affordable price, did I
a) Hum and ha, scratch my behind and say, hmm well, I dunno see, no thanks, I'll see if something better turns up. (Maybe in year or two?)
Or
b) Press a wad of used notes into the seller's sweaty palm, with a cry of yes,yes! Mine, all mine now I tells ya! Muahahahahaha!
c) Something like b) but more moderate.
A clue. I bought it!

So now begins the evaluation phase, where I find out its strengths and weaknesses. Will it go in a train? High probability. It's shorter than my upright tourer. Will it go on a car bike rack? ditto. Will the small wheels make it less suitable for longer trips? Got to try it. Will it be as comfortable as the Linear? Again, time will tell.

Although I titled this thread, "After the Linear" it will be some time, if ever, before it's superseded. n + 1 for the time being.

As for the bars, hamster, shmamster. When they are rotated upwards they have more in common with riser bars. When rotated downwards, no idea. I will experiment until they are the way I want them. I may just adapt to them. Having been used to underseat steering they are bound to feel strange for a while.

The front light has been moved back by reversing the adaptor bracket on the end of the main bracket. Any further back and it might reflect off the feet and pedals, though it could be worth experimenting as it still looks a bit vulnerable. Maybe if fitted high up on the stem, it would work, though the cable is a bit short. It is currently at a similar height to the one on my Brompton, which works very well.

PaulM

Guru
I'm almost jealous. Dual-drive hub? They're not hamster bars and there's no tiller effect. It's all very upright bike like. The seat height is 26" from memory and the BB height is 23", but it's easy to reach the ground. Enjoy!! :-)

grldtnr

Dual drive hub is desirable on recumbents,means you can shift to a lower gear quite easily if you come to an unplanned stop, Sturmey Archer, and Sachs or SRAM used to make them , certainly Sturmey still do.
I don't get the hang off them high up bars,seem to affect my sense of balance, mind you, not ridden other types of recumbent since getting my AZUB.
Have an eye on a Barchetta Corsa on the E-bay, but it looks used and a bit beat up, so I expect a bill to replace the drivetrain.
Enjoy fiddling Twiddle !

Top Bottom