Aldi rear camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

broady

Veteran
Well I have now returned my Aldi camera and got my £40 back and have brought the fly 6 for £54.
Although I was fairly happy with the Aldi one there was a few issues that kept cropping up. Will look forward to trying out the new one on the commute

Smthers

Über Member
I've been lurking and watching this thread for a while, and finally registered to post this.

I too started having issues with the Aldi rear camera, where it started bleeping and turning off every 15 mins or so. I reluctantly upgraded the firmware, and this fixed the 15 min turn-off issue, but it removed the incident detection feature that protects the recorded footage - rendering the camera almost pointless.

As luck would have it I found the Fly 6 on Amazon where they were selling it for £59.99 for Prime members - so I ordered and returned the Aldi one (no quibble return at my local store - kudos to Aldi for that). For the extra £20 it's a no-brainer.

daccg

Hi @daccg

I bought some of these which are far better quality than the original one & do a very good job of holding the camera on the seatpost.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfatex-Brand-supplied-by-VELCRO-Companies-Ring-Straps-Strapping-with-Buckle/371840875775?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:blush:T&var=640916972506&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thanks very much for sharing these. I think I will end up getting them although I have found a (temporary) way to fix this 'issue'. I'm still very lucky and haven't had any punctures so didn't get a chance to try the inner tube option. I ended up using some pipe insulation foam bought at the pound shop wrapping it around the seat tube with some insulation tape. This seems to hold up quite good although I might need to re-do it soon. Will upload a picture when I get chance.

Lastly, I haven't had any issues with the camera whatsoever and in fact I'm quite happy with it!

hi all, brought this camera a week ago and worked fine with the 8gb card in, put a 32 gb card in and it stops after 15-20 mins, i have read all the posts on here, Jeff has put the page for the firmware update on page 10 but it says page not found., does anyone know where i can find the firmware as i cant seem to find it anywhere

cheers Phil B

gaijintendo

Veteran
TBH I wouldn't bother, as you can't really rely on it. I'd just take it back and buy the Fly6.
That's interesting, because i haven't experienced any isdues with the Aldi camera I got second hand here last June. The Fly6 it replaced made it to the end of the warranty period and suddenly would no longer take more than 20 mins worth of charge...

If you are all disposing your cameras, I'll look after them for you!

Last edited:

gaijintendo

Veteran
I guess the question is, does anyone have the firmware in their downloads folder?

gaijintendo

Veteran
That's interesting, because i haven't experienced any isdues with the Aldi camera I got second hand here last June. The Fly6 it replaced made it to the end of the warranty period and suddenly would no longer take more than 20 mins worth of charge...

If you are all disposing your cameras, I'll look after them for you!
Wonderful. My fly12 won't charge or connect to usb now... Thankfully it failed after 10 months...

Adam4868

Guru
The guarantees from Aldi are worth the money alone ! Took a cobb light back last week after over a year and a half of constant use.It wasnt holding its charge,no problems.Same with a lot of their power tools 3 year guarantees.Now i just have to wait til lights are back in !

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I guess the question is, does anyone have the firmware in their downloads folder?

I have my light, I cannot remember how I did the firmware update, but if you want the 3 files I have on the light, they are called config.txt, settime.txt and perhaps crucially VER, all are only 1k in size though. Let me know if you want me to send them to you.

Automotor

In Australia, as I imagine elsewhere too, the Cycliq 12 month warranty doesn't extinguish the statutory one for a reasonable period under normal use.
That means that Cycliq should repair camera lights and replace batteries because the reasonable life of an HD camera is more like five years.
Cycliq's attitude is pretty poor and aloof taking days to answer emails (the only channel) and in my case not reading my question repeatedly. Perhaps they've a Hong Kongese service office doing it?
For $400Aud the Aldi one is by far better value and I'll bet it lasts more than a year.

Top Bottom