All bikes should be fitted with lights!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
Davidc said:
If they run from any form of dynamo they won't run out, if on batteries then they need changing. If the batteries are rechargeables then they cost half of b***** all to run.

German regulations require bikes to be ftted with a dynamo. No reason why ours shouldn't.

ermmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i can think of many reasons why dynamos shouldnt be required on bikes, main reason of which is the amount of extra drag there is when using one, this is bound just to put people off cycling?? the second reason is weight i dont want a stupid dynamo on my racing bike :tongue: such a stupid idea!!

Cab

Davidc said:
That's easy Cab, if they're hub dynamos just take off the switches.

The ones on the streets here aren't hub ones. And if hub dynamos were compulsory the cost would of construction would be higher and you'd see less people buying and riding bikes. They'll also break or be broken to make riding easier; its doomed to failure.

You are very very wrong Cab, a compulsory lights measure would greatly REDUCE the excuse for claiming that cyclists cause cycle accidents (unlike helmet propaganda which increases it) by decreasing the number of unlit bikes around.

No it wouldn't. I refer you to my previous description of hire bikes in Cambridge and to safety data regarding unlit bicycles; there isn't a safety argument for this and there isn't a practical argument for it.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
MadoneRider1991 said:
ermmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i can think of many reasons why dynamos shouldnt be required on bikes, main reason of which is the amount of extra drag there is when using one, this is bound just to put people off cycling?? the second reason is weight i dont want a stupid dynamo on my racing bike :tongue: such a stupid idea!!

Still missing the point where specific bikes are excluded from this?

thomas

the tank engine
Davidc said:
German regulations require bikes to be ftted with a dynamo. No reason why ours shouldn't.

Plenty of good reasons. First one is that it's a stupid idea which we don't need. :laugh:

chap said:
  • Germany already has these laws
  • Generally, Cycling is more popular and widespread in Germany than here
The last point isn't really relevant unless you believe cycling would be more popular here if bikes came with compulsory lights.

MacB said:
Still missing the point where specific bikes are excluded from this?

Better to just exclude all bikes as our wonderful legal system does :smile:

The police ignore cyclists at the moment without lights, so why would they care if cyclists didn't have 'compulsory lights' on their bike.

I'm very much against a dynamo system, and I see no reason for me to spend more buying a new bike due to it having to come with lights, which I already own.

As Cab has pointed out a number of times, there isn't really any benefit to this point. Much better to just enforce existing laws of having lights at night (if you're going to do something).

MacB

thomas said:
Plenty of good reasons. First one is that it's a stupid idea which we don't need. :biggrin:

[/LIST]The last point isn't really relevant unless you believe cycling would be more popular here if bikes came with compulsory lights.

Better to just exclude all bikes as our wonderful legal system does :smile:

The police ignore cyclists at the moment without lights, so why would they care if cyclists didn't have 'compulsory lights' on their bike.

I'm very much against a dynamo system, and I see no reason for me to spend more buying a new bike due to it having to come with lights, which I already own.

As Cab has pointed out a number of times, there isn't really any benefit to this point. Much better to just enforce existing laws of having lights at night (if you're going to do something).

But the whole pointhere is that the sort of bike you'd be looking at wouldn't come with a dynamo system

thomas

the tank engine
MacB said:
But the whole pointhere is that the sort of bike you'd be looking at wouldn't come with a dynamo system

How do you know? I might want some crappy heavy bike :biggrin:.

I wouldn't want any of my bikes to have to be fitted with lights. Generally I have my set with me, but in the middle of summer if I was going out for a spin at lunch there seems no need for the extra accessories.

I'm not fussing that the lights weigh a bit, because I weigh a bit, but I'd rather not have extra accessories which can come off and get broken, or if I left my bike somewhere, stolen.

In Germany are the battery lights removable (but you don't remove them, other than to change batteries and things)? Because if they are removable it wouldn't surprise me if they got quickly nicked over here.

Norm

thomas said:
I wouldn't want any of my bikes to have to be fitted with lights. Generally I have my set with me...
This would be my concern. I have splurged on a very decent (IMO) set of lights and a handful of brackets so that I can clip them to whichever bike I am riding.

Aside from the unnecessary waste which would arise from having a set of lights on each of my bikes, I'd rather have the option to spend the money on one set of transferable lights, rather than having a multitude of lights, cables, hubs etc to keep in good shape.

I have no concerns with a legal requirement to have lights, even if we were required to have lights fitted at all times, but for the law to say that I have to have as many sets of lights as I have bikes seems a bit OTT.

I also agree that it should also be a requirement to make it more obvious whether or not lights were legal lights at the point of sale. Or, rather, to make it obvious if lights do not meet the legal requirements. For off-road use, I can understand that some lights might be too powerful, but I think it should be made very clear which lights are legal and which are not, so that I can have at least one set fitted which could close off any potential wriggle-room for a murdering driver's insurance company.

thomas

the tank engine
Norm said:
I have no concerns with a legal requirement to have lights, even if we were required to have lights fitted at all times, but for the law to say that I have to have as many sets of lights as I have bikes seems a bit OTT.

I also agree that it should also be a requirement to make it more obvious whether or not lights were legal lights at the point of sale. Or, rather, to make it obvious if lights do not meet the legal requirements. For off-road use, I can understand that some lights might be too powerful, but I think it should be made very clear which lights are legal and which are not, so that I can have at least one set fitted which could close off any potential wriggle-room for a murdering driver's insurance company.

My main light, which sometimes might be my only front light (is good!) requires another light to conform with the law due to some silly loop holes in the legislation. It's in small print somewhere on the box. The light is better than my other light, which would be legal by itself. Law's silly. Be good to cut down some of the rubbish like that too!

Seems a bit pointless to always have lights fitted, much better just to enforce existing laws which if done properly, would keep about 2% of cyclists who would of had accidents a bit safer.

Again my problem, my present light setup(s) consist of a set of "bobby dodgers" at abouth £20 and a set of "decent lights" at about £400.

Do I really have to stop usingthe better lights and decrease both my visibilty and ability to see?

Cunobelin said:
Again my problem, my present light setup(s) consist of a set of "bobby dodgers" at abouth £20 and a set of "decent lights" at about £400.

That’s my set up, the bobby dodgers came with my Giant CRS Sports Hybrid.

My cateyes cost £60-70 approx

What happens in claim if my front bobby dodger was found to be obscured by my front cateye? ;)

Cab

MacB said:

Says who? Every day I ride a bottom of the range Giant Expression; I need something to function well, something I can get to a decent speed, something robust, and something that in the near inevitable eventuality of theft or vandalism is no great loss. And I don't want dynamo lights on it; why should I?

Bay Runner said:
Is dynamo system legal?
Surly not, the lights go out when you stop?

Yes it is legal.... if you stay at the left of the road.

Also many systems now have a small LED "standlight" charged from the dynamo that will stay on for up to an hour when the bike is stop

MacB

Cab said:
Says who? Every day I ride a bottom of the range Giant Expression; I need something to function well, something I can get to a decent speed, something robust, and something that in the near inevitable eventuality of theft or vandalism is no great loss. And I don't want dynamo lights on it; why should I?

I didn't say it should be law just that I'd personally like to see them as standard, rather than high price upgrades, for a lot of bikes.

Davidc

Guru
Cab said:

In Britain you don't have to. In Germany you would. Theft would be unlikely once they were ubiquitous. Dynamo lights aren't removable and don't generally get nicked. Vandalised occasionally yes. As I said above your hire bikes just need the switches taken off.

The Germans are as usual way ahead of us. They take safety seriously where we don't, and therefore have good and sensible laws governing bike lighting. I will be delighted if their rules come in here by international agreement, because they make sense in terms of both road safety and the perception of cyclists among non-cyclists. In the meantime I can take advantage of the excellent lighting products available as a direct result of their regulations.

You won't agree as you are quite happy to have bikes going round in the dark without lights. That's the inevitable consequence of not having compulsory aways on lighting. You seem to think they're a good idea on your bike though.

You clearly know more about safety issues than any researchers, road safety professionals or the German government. Nonetheless I'd rather take notice of them.

Top Bottom