all time best book

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

Trembler49 said:
A Prayer for Owen Meany , John Irving - most days

My Mrs would agree with you, but I think it's a terrible book! Turgid prose, dull narrator, and an utterly predictable conclusion.

PaulB

Legendary Member
User482 said:
My Mrs would agree with you, but I think it's a terrible book! Turgid prose, dull narrator, and an utterly predictable conclusion.

:smile: I thought it was a terrific book and the ending was superb. Each to his own I suppose.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
PaulB said:
:smile: I thought it was a terrific book and the ending was superb. Each to his own I suppose.

+1

Today I would tell you that my faves are:

A Prayer For Owen Meany - John Irving
I Know This Much Is True - Wally Lamb

(I just have too many faves to name just two - got to throw in Haruki Murakami's work, or Spike Milligan's war diaries, or Paul Auster's 'Mr Vertigo' on another day !!)

papercorn2000

The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists for politically awakening me whilst a teenager. (That and listening to The Clash)

montage

God Almighty
Sharpe

U

User482

PaulB said:
:laugh: I thought it was a terrific book and the ending was superb. Each to his own I suppose.

It's certainly a book that divides opinion! I thought you could see the ending a mile off, and the religious/ allegorical aspect was flimsy and poorly examined.

Nadeen

papercorn2000 said:
The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists for politically awakening me whilst a teenager. (That and listening to The Clash)

A brilliant book

The first book I remember reading was called I AM DAVID
Its a great read

phaedrus

papercorn2000 said:

As I understand it, the original title was The Ragged Arsed Philanthropists, but it was bowdlerised by the publisher.

Top Bottom