Alu or carbon I am just a beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robbieinnes

Looking to buy my first road bike and I am really struggling do I bite the bullet and buy carbon fibre or go alu frame with good components for eg. Focus culebro 2.0 or the focus cayo evo 4.0?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome:

Big Nick

Personally I'd get the carbon frame as you can upgrade components as and when they wear out

Can't help you with those bikes though

I would say that most newbies, if they get into cycling, would want n+1 rather than upgrading the existing bike. Therefore, I would go for a good alu frame with the best components you can afford, then in a year or two you can decide if you want a carbon n+1. The old bike then becomes the winter bike.

zacklaws

Guru
I would say that most newbies, if they get into cycling, would want n+1 rather than upgrading the existing bike. Therefore, I would go for a good alu frame with the best components you can afford, then in a year or two you can decide if you want a carbon n+1. The old bike then becomes the winter bike.

Exactly the answer I was going to give till I finally read this final post in the thread, the only addition to advice I would give would be don't buy a bike outside your means to keep it maintained to the standard it was bought, ie parts wear out or damaged in crashes etc and to replace them can be costly and even more so if you ride a lot.

Any fool can buy a cheap clapped out ferrari........but when it breaks down.......it would be costly to repair

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
I think alu for us beginners is good engouh, alu bikes are strudy and bit heavier than carbon but once you get ur stamina in working on heavy bike, then after a year when you get into carbon one you will see much more difference than going carbon since start :smile:

Buy the bike that fits you best, it's that simple.

If it's made of alu that's good, if it's made of carbon that's good too, if it's made of titanium guess what, that is also good. Same goes for steel, bamboo and just about anything else they makes bike frames from for that matter.

Each material has perceived benefits and also perceived drawbacks, but in real terms they are much of a muchness IMO.

Just remember the above and don't get fooled, (as many do), into thinking that carbon fibre is an upgrade over everything else, it isn't ;)

The best advice I've ever had is to buy the very best frame you can afford to, everything else is easily upgraded as, when and indeed if required.

So do you buy higher spec alu or budget carbon? Hmmmm decisions decisions :whistle:

PS: I've owned steel, alu and carbon framed bikes over the years, both road and MTB, but I now just own one alu road bike and one steel road bike. That's my preference, yours may be different once you try some out :thumbsup:

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
bamboo road bike? id love to see one :biggrin:

what the hell...

http://bamboobicycleclub.org/

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I think alu for us beginners is good engouh, alu bikes are strudy and bit heavier than carbon but once you get ur stamina in working on heavy bike, then after a year when you get into carbon one you will see much more difference than going carbon since start :smile:
They're both fine til you can afford a proper 953 handmade steel one. :hyper:

I had a wooden bike, but it wooden work...:wacko:

Personally, I prefer steel. Had one aluminium Trek ten years (??) ago, I forget, very stiff ride, fast and light; gone from fast and light to slow-er and heavier, (just like me), but it depends what you need and what you're going to use it for.

Suffolk Cycling

I got a Trek 1,1 alu at the start of the year - absolutely fine for me as an entry-level (ish) road bike. I don't see the point of going for expensive carbon until you're well and truly hooked. Then you'll know it is money well spent.

I'll be doing that in a few years, long enough for the missus to have forgotten how much I've spent on cycling already :thumbsup:

Top Bottom