Am I missing somthing here regarding gearing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swansonj

Guru
I've got a similar set up on my Ridgeback touring hybrid 52-40-28 and a 13-28 rear, bit much laden going up steep stuff (time for a walk) but pedalling below 1-1 seems a bit weird unless doing serious off-roading. Unladen I can climb most roads.
So can I .... at the start of the day. 20" and below gear ratios come into their own for full days in hilly territory.

vickster

Legendary Member
True. Been intending to look at different sizing options, but not got round to it yet. Mr Hop suggested that I need more of those toothy things on there :smile:
I have 50/34 on the front and 11-32 on the back, can get up most inclines that I have encountered (it's not massively hilly around London, probably, similar to Norfolk). I am also heavy and have a dodgy leg and back! Might be worth looking into. I rarely ride out of the saddle now

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
So can I .... at the start of the day. 20" and below gear ratios come into their own for full days in hilly territory.
Exactly!

Example route elevation profiles which illustrate why I like triples on my bikes ... :whistle:

Park Rash Dales Adventure.gif
Pain in the Pennines.gif

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

jay clock

Massive member
all this talk of having the legs! Given a standard double and a compact I choose a compact because my legs spin like a dervish. No difference in speed just i get tired out less quickly and cover the same ground in the same time. As an example my cycling buddy stays in the big ring on 99% of hills. Doesn't make him faster. Or any more manly

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I've got a similar set up on my Ridgeback touring hybrid 52-40-28 and a 13-28 rear, bit much laden going up steep stuff (time for a walk) but pedalling below 1-1 seems a bit weird unless doing serious off-roading. Unladen I can climb most roads.
What's wrong with a ratio below 1-1? If it works, use it.

One of my solo bikes has 48-38-28, and what I suspect is 12-30 or so 7 speed (I've never bothered couting). The tandem has 53-40-28 and 11-34. The best of both worlds - we can pedal right up to 30mph+ and also spin up a 1-in-6 hill.

I should probably admit that changing from middle ring to little on the tandem can be hit-and-miss, and that I might have been slightly provocative for effect upthread....

swansonj

Guru
I should probably admit that changing from middle ring to little on the tandem can be hit-and-miss, and that I might have been slightly provocative for effect upthread....
The thought did cross my mind, but knowing that it was you, I instantly dismissed it...

My solo has a bottom gear of 18", used for climbing Hardknott/Rosedale equivalents, and for whole days of Alpine 8% or Cornish ups and downs. One of our tandems "only" has 22", and when the stoker provides limited input, I wish it was lower.

Reactions: srw

raleighnut

Legendary Member
What's wrong with a ratio below 1-1? If it works, use it.

One of my solo bikes has 48-38-28, and what I suspect is 12-30 or so 7 speed (I've never bothered couting). The tandem has 53-40-28 and 11-34. The best of both worlds - we can pedal right up to 30mph+ and also spin up a 1-in-6 hill.

Ah but then you've got a stoker, personally by the time I get far enough from home to hit a 1-in-6 (Derbyshire) I quite enjoy having a stretch and a walk for a bit.
BTW I live just south of Leicester

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
18"? What the heck is 18"?

Why do we still use a measurement that ignores all the developments in bikes since 1900 and tells you nothing about how far you go?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
!8 inches is how far you go per pedal rev, about 450 mm

D

Deleted member 1258

I have just changed to a 50/36 and i find it is more workable than a 50/34 .

I've been looking at 46/39 on the front with 12-28 on the back, I've still got the same cassette on the back of my Verenti that it came with almost 4 years ago, I've had 4 chains on it so I recon I've got to be close to a new cassette, the fly in the ointment is the bolt on front changer, I'd have to change to a band on one which will add to the expense.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Don't do this if there's another rider on your wheel though or they will scream at you.
I don't see why the presence of another rider should make any difference. If they're close enough behind you to be affected by your gear-changing, then they're too close :thumbsup:.

Top Bottom