An end to texting and driving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Recycle

Über Member
Why is it ok for one to drive and not the other?
It's not OK for either. The law is tailored to the lowest common denominator, not the highest.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
But a driving 'genius' brought up with texting would have no problem. I'd expect someone like Lewis Hamilton would be a better driver whilst texting than, for example, the old bloke who lives at the end of our road is when he's fully concentrating.

Why is it ok for one to drive and not the other?
The geniuses have worked out that it isn't safe to try to do both. Problem is most of the population isn't in the genius category.

Me, I think (as I'm sure many on here do), that I'm an above average cyclist when it comes to my awareness on the roads, I've tried to ring and cycle at the same time on a cycle path, and I am aware that my cycling isn't of the same standard. Perhaps I'm not so good as I thought or .... It does take more concentration than we like to think.

KneesUp

Guru
It's not OK for either. The law is tailored to the lowest common denominator, not the highest.
The law says it's perfectly legal for the chap down the road to drive. He seems fine when I see him, but I wouldn't be too confident in a situation that demanded fast reflexes.

My point was that objecting on the grounds of how much mental capacity is available for driving is problematic because some people have more of it to start with, and require less of it to drive (my mum, for example, has been driving for 20 odd years, but it still seems to be a mental test for her) It's similar with texting. My young staff can do it with one hand without looking at their phones, whereas I have to make more of an effort.

Recycle

Über Member
The law says it's perfectly legal for the chap down the road to drive. He seems fine when I see him, but I wouldn't be too confident in a situation that demanded fast reflexes.
That's a social problem rather than a legal one. We favour an egalitarian right to drive rather than one based purely on ability. Passing the driving test demands competence, but judgement of competence is a subjective thing.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
No. Conversation is generally made up of intuitive thought and this places low demands on the brain. Non intuitive topics that place high demand on the brain will come up from time to time and these are the dangerous moments. If for example we took a walk together together and I asked you to multiply two 2 digit numbers together (eg 16 x 41) the mental demands would almost certainly stop you from walking while you solve the problem. Your brain shuts down all other processes to devote its resources to the difficult task. A genius may well be a worse driver than Mr Average because (s)he may spend more mental time resolving complex problems.
My sister rang me using her new Bluetooth headset on a commute home. We chatted for a few minutes and then she realised that she had driven straight past the motorway junction she has been exiting from for over 10 years. Talking on a phone can definitely be distracting! :whistle:

Recycle

Über Member
My sister rang me using her new Bluetooth headset on a commute home. We chatted for a few minutes and then she realised that she had driven straight past the motorway junction she has been exiting from for over 10 years. Talking on a phone can definitely be distracting! :whistle:
Indeed, and its the talking rather than the phone that makes the distraction. We delude ourselves by thinking that hands-free makes it safe. It doesn't, it just makes it legal.

KneesUp

Guru
Indeed, and its the talking rather than the phone that makes the distraction. We delude ourselves by thinking that hands-free makes it safe. It doesn't, it just makes it legal.
What about talking to passengers or listening to the radio?

ColinJ

What about talking to passengers or listening to the radio?
If a passenger saw that you were getting stressed in heavy traffic, poor visibility, (whatever), then hopefully they would just shut up and let you concentrate until you cleared the hazard?

If you were listening to the radio, then you would probably ignore it when hazards presented themselves?

If your boss were on the phone and asking you for a description of your progress on the vital new thrust widget project, it might be a bit harder to deal with! (Yes, ideally you would just tell them that you couldn't talk about it while you were driving, but a lot of bosses might not like that ...)

Recycle

Über Member
Don't know about radio. It's one way & doesn't demand a response.
Passengers are definitely distracting. The best example is with under 25 drivers. I remember reading a report which stated that an under 25 driver is four times more likely to crash with a passenger in the vehicle and that likelyhood doubles again with a second passenger.

KneesUp

Guru
If a passenger saw that you were getting stressed in heavy traffic, poor visibility, (whatever), then hopefully they would just shut up and let you concentrate until you cleared the hazard
Have you ever tried driving with a child in the car? :smile:

ColinJ

Have you ever tried driving with a child in the car? :smile:
No, but I was almost killed once by a driver who was turned round and arguing with her children in the back seat of her car as she overtook me ... The car was veering towards me as it passed and I looked straight up into the driver's horrified eyes as she realised what had nearly just happened! :eek:

mustang1

Guru
[QUOTE 3409981, member: 9609"]In such a car would there be any point in sitting behind the wheel, why not climb into the back and have a sleep, I'm sure the car can wake you up when it gets to your destination - what type is it, I want one.[/QUOTE]
Well I think they only work on the motorways. Bmw merc Lexus etc. They can't drive themselves in town.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Try telling that to the cops.
I assumed you had got hold of one of these driverless cars that they are talking about, if not them don't text please. Those people who think it's fine to do when stationary, obviously are so unobservant that they've not seen how it causes problems for other drivers and cyclists when they don't move at a roundabout or a set of lights or a junction.

Top Bottom