An Old Boiler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Unless you keep a Corgi, I don't think you are allowed to

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
When my parents had theirs done a few years ago it was something like
£600 boiler
£600 fitting
£400 radiators
£250 fitting radiators.

The labour costs have changed somewhat though :evil:. Newer radiators can make such a massive difference though.

Boiler definitely knackered or is it the pcb on it dying?

hubgearfreak

Über Member
have a look in B&Q. a boiler, 7 radiators and all the necessary pipework was under a grand when i bought mine recently. but getting a plumber to fit it for less than 2 grand will be a challenge:wacko:.

the water pipes make up the vast majority of the work, and you're free to do that yourself (as i did)...but the gas supply and flue will have to be done by a gas man. i had quotes of between £1k and free next year right down to i'll come at the weekend and wanting £150.

Maz

Guru
We had a new boiler (Baxi) fitted about 5 years ago. I think it costs us 1600 all in (but we also went from an immersion/header-system to combi-system).

Do you know someone with a tradecard so you can get the boiler cheaper than retail price?

Local plumber's merchant, Vailant (not Valiant!) are great it's what I installed when ours packed up.

Regular or combination? You'll need to know the size which is determined by how much heat you want it to kick out which is determined by the total heat losses of your residence.

Modern units are, almost without exception, 'condensing' boilers and are more complex to install due to the extra waste pipe which removes the condensate.

The last time I studied the regulations it was perfectly legal to install your own boiler, as long as you do it in accordance with the manufacturers instructions, building regs etc. You are merely required to be a 'competent person'.

marinyork said:
Also for my 2p worth combination boilers are extremely poor.

Evidence?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Had one at university (twice). Large gas bills from modest use. I concluded that it'd be better off not having a boiler at all in that set of cicumstances.

A friend's had one fitted in their council home and another will soon. They've been given the "talk" about how combination boilers are the best thing since sliced bread and are already complaining about it despite being warned and were like no, no it'll be great. It is hard to assess how good the combination boilers are really because a lot of the talk has loaded assumptions factored into their calculations.

User1314 said:
My Boiler is kanckered. No, I'm not talking about my wife.

I need a new heating Boiler. Damn. £2k, I guess?

Any pointers where I can get one as cheap as possible, without having to resort to burglary or early roman type central heating?

Please bear in mind that I have the technical literacy of a one winged gnat.

Any good!?

http://www.stovecentre.co.uk/

These kind of heaters are very popular in Scandinavia!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I`ve been quoted £1600 to fit a new combi boiler and same price for condensing type, advantage of the combi is it takes up less space and from what Ive been told by others who have them cheaper to run?

Gary D

We had one fitted last year.
It was a top of the range Worcester Bosch Condensing Combi which I think on its own is about £1,300. I would think that with fitting, assuming it is going in the same place that you would be looking at around £1,600-1,700.

Gary.

Globalti

Legendary Member
All very well but is your system suitable for a combi?

Worcester Bosch seems to be a good make. Why not go and do a search on DIYnot.com ? Don't ask "What boiler...?" though or they will shout at you.

Boiler efficiency has everything to do with boiler efficiency and nothing to do with whether it's a combination or regular boiler. The advantages of a combi include instant high pressure (depending on the size of the heat-exchanger) hot water delivery and the elimination of space wasting HW cylinders and header tanks. Variables in system inefficiency and total building heat-losses are what makes the difference in energy consumption, not the type of boiler.

Top Bottom