Another Rohloff tandem hub failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Some of you may remember this post, or other threads concerning the same events from this and other forums:

https://www.cyclechat.net/

I'm sad to have to report that the same thing has happened to us, on essentially the same Thorn Raven twin bike. Sad, because the bike is in all other respects a phenomenal success. It's comfortable, runs well whether we're unladen or weighed down with shopping or panniers and the Rohloff gearing is a dream to use on the road.

The incident happened on our first ride out after a service, during which we had the gearing upped a couple of notches. Whether it was this, or the fact that the riders are now much stronger than they were last year, or simply bad luck that it's happened now I'm not going to speculate.

Thorn have swung into action with admirable promptness - the wheel has been sent off to them, and will go to Germany to be analysed, repaired and strengthened. I will also be making sure they're aware that we're on tour in June.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Bummer. Major bummer. Hope it all gets sorted for your tour, though I just don't get the whole "got to send it back to Germany for repair/warrantly work" that appears to be part of the Rohloff experience - which is fundamentally what puts me off buying one for mtb use.

OP
OP
srw

srw

Someone will no doubt correct me, but I haven't heard of any serious mechanicals affecting a Rohloff on a solo bike. I find the "send it back to Germany" thing quite reassuring, because it means that my expensive bit of precision engineering isn't being messed around with by some half-trained grease monkey. The downside is that it's out of commission in the meantime, but we do (of course) have other bikes. And I'm recovering from an injury, so riding is out of the question for another few days.

The real challenge would come if we got a mechanical while on tour. But Rohloff's and Thorn's promises are quite robust in that regard - and internet evidence is that they're very good at honouring them.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Someone over on Crazyguyonabike has had problems with a solo bike. See here . Luckily they are able to continue riding with it so it hasn't completely ruined their tour.

'Send it back to Germany' is a cop out - legally, the problem is the retailers. Fair enough if they give you a replacement while retailer and manufacturer resolve the problem, but don't leave you without a working bike, that’s not acceptable, in my view.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
srw said:
Someone will no doubt correct me, but I haven't heard of any serious mechanicals affecting a Rohloff on a solo bike. I find the "send it back to Germany" thing quite reassuring, because it means that my expensive bit of precision engineering isn't being messed around with by some half-trained grease monkey. The downside is that it's out of commission in the meantime, but we do (of course) have other bikes. And I'm recovering from an injury, so riding is out of the question for another few days.

The real challenge would come if we got a mechanical while on tour. But Rohloff's and Thorn's promises are quite robust in that regard - and internet evidence is that they're very good at honouring them.

I guess the only thing that ultimately matters is that you are relaxed about it.

OP
OP
srw

srw

GregCollins said:
I guess the only thing that ultimately matters is that you are relaxed about it.

Given that it's happened at home during work, rather than in the middle of a tour - yes, I'm pretty relaxed!

I should add that I fell in love with hub gears while riding a Brompton with a Sturmey-Archer 5 speed. Generally known as temperamental and not exactly robust, it just worked for me. I rode ten thousand miles on it with no adjustment beyond a simple twizzle of a noodle. The same cannot be said of the various derailleur systems I've had on bikes over the years.

I know it is possible to ride long distances, even stupidly long distances over unfeasibly short timescales with a failed derailleur and some cable ties, but that's not for me.

Top Bottom