Another truck/cyclist accident in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2583172, member: 30090"]So no apology then, for someone who harps on about evidence....even though an inquest is due of course..[/quote]

Come on now; you surely don't expect the User to apologise or even admit to being plain WRONG?
Oooops sorry, questioning the Great One again; I must be trolling :troll: .

Domestique

Über Member
RiP
I am sure these things happen in countries like Germany, Belgium, Netherlands etc but from what I have seen there motorised road users have no trouble seeing cyclists.
Another sad reminder about whats going on on the UK roads.

SW19cam

Über Member
Yes but perhaps education on both sides could have helped prevent it. A point I made in my post above. I never mentioned "dangerous roads" only that the Mayor has control over the condition of roads and junctions within London.

Or perhaps we should expect nothing to be done, in which case nothing will be done and the situation will get worse.

I think it’s entirely appropriate to name the current London Mayor as having the remit to deal with road safety.

If it’s not, I totally want his job as it sounds like a right hoot.

Boris has speeded up traffic flow and, speeded up traffic light sequences, scrapped the WEZ, splashed meaningless blue paint around and declared "safe" roads that are now implicated in the deaths of three cyclists, quite apart from the increase in pedestrian deaths under his watch, reversing a decline under Ken. Saying Boris has nothing to do with the deaths of vulnerable road users in London is naive.

Davidsw8

I don't notice that Boris has done very much for cyclists except get his face on telly a lot to talk about how much he's going to do.

It may be controversial to say this here but I'm not a fan of those blue superhighways or the cycle routes - unless they're completely separate from traffic, I don't think it's a good idea to bunch up loads of cyclists together, I feel safer when the traffic is mixed and there are too many variables of ability and conscientiousness when you have too many cyclists together IMO, but I acknowledge that's my perception of what feels safe.

Something that would be an immediate help would be to simply enforce existing legislation for ALL traffic, I see so much law-breaking on a minute-by-minute basis on my commute and I think it leads to a culture of recklessness and complacent unsafe behaviour. People either get away completely scot-free or the penalty is minimal - if the driver involved in this incident is found culpable, he'll probably just get a fine and some points.

I think there's an argument for letting cyclists go early at some lights but that might be take a major culture shift for cyclists, motorists and pedestrians to get used to.

I also think motorists should have to resit their test every 10 years and vehicles over a certain size (except buses) should be kept out of London in rush hour but I know that ain't gonna happen :laugh:

jarlrmai

Veteran
That recent Gaz video with the motorbiker highlights the "meaningless blue paint" issue pretty well.

We seriously seriously need some TV ads similar to the "Think Bike" ones both aimed at drivers (overtakes etc) and at cyclists (don't filter by HGVs)

I mean if i'm at a junction and one of those 4 axle tipper trucks pulls up behind/alongside me I will do whatever is safe to get out of it's way I don't take anything for granted with large vehicles at junctions.

That recent Gaz video with the motorbiker highlights the "meaningless blue paint" issue pretty well.

We seriously seriously need some TV ads similar to the "Think Bike" ones both aimed at drivers (overtakes etc) and at cyclists (don't filter by HGVs)

I mean if i'm at a junction and one of those 4 axle tipper trucks pulls up behind/alongside me I will do whatever is safe to get out of it's way I don't take anything for granted with large vehicles at junctions.

We could also benefit from road users having the belief that they may get caught acting like complete dicks. At the moment it's a free-for-all as long as they emergency brake before the camera.

Davidsw8

They don't seem to do public safety type ads now but they must've been effective cos we still remember them 20-30 years later. It's probably a money thing though huh? The government doesn't want to fork out for them and the TV companies want to charge a fortune for the time.

Jezston

Über Member
They don't seem to do public safety type ads now but they must've been effective cos we still remember them 20-30 years later. It's probably a money thing though huh? The government doesn't want to fork out for them and the TV companies want to charge a fortune for the time.

I recall that broadcasters were duty bound to broadcast a certain amount of time of public information films. Perhaps they got rid of that?

StuartG

slower but further
Pity its not like that in the real world though.
Nice driving - and indeed riding. Unremarkable if it was France (except for surprised British visitors).

We really ought to separate drivers with bad attitudes (who can only be controlled by legal sanctions) and drivers who are a bit clueless about driving (the majority?). The latter need educating gently as hectoring is often counterproductive. The Irish ad I thought had just the right approach and if repeated enough times might just penetrate some cranial cavities.

Top Bottom