Anti Cycling campaigners at the New Forest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
This was posted on my news feed on Facebook
Dear Cyclists, a small number of anti Cycling campaigners, are trying to get our future cycling events in the New Forest stopped. They refer to cyclist as ‘Lycra Clad Lemmings’ and believe they have no place in the New Forest. If you believe, like we do, that the New Forest is a ‘National Park’ which should be enjoyed by all. Please email:
David.stone@newforestnpa.gov.uk and Julian.johnson@newforestnpa.gov.uk, with your views and ask they be circulated to the NPA members.
If you could send a quick polite email to the addresses above we think it would really help, ensure you and your families can enjoy riding safe well organised events in the forest for the years to come.
Kind Regards UKCE

sidevalve

Über Member
You are 100 % correct and I support you but I'm afraid the problem is more with the few idiot cyclists who "sour the pot" by treating roads and national park paths etc as their own private race tracks, and sorry, yes are more of these arrogant fools than we like to admit. I admit I can't see a cure but TBH I can't see the "oh let us off we're only cyclists" slogan working for much longer. Again, I hope I'm wrong but legislation is closing in on everyone, and we will be included.

DRHysted

Guru
It's the large events that they are trying to ban (I am in contact with my local counciller DHarrison.org.uk who is a member of the NPA).
Unfortunately the large events stop cars from going about their business and a local town which holds alot of the events (Brockenhurst) has an anit-cyclist counciller, also a lovely comment from a person who keeps speaking out against Wiggle events on Facebook (Fiona Harding) is that the cyclists hurtle along so people (the elderly especially) would have no time to get out of the way.

sidevalve

Über Member
As I said it's the idiots that are spoiling the game. It will only take one accident and the shutter will be down, end of story, the finish. It doesn't matter how many well organised events or polite letters sent only the bad will be noticed [if you want proof just try riding a m/cycle]. As for "getting out of the way" well sorry but no one should have to, just a polite "excuse me please" and be prepared to wait. After all impatience and arrogance in a cyclist is just as annoying to a pedestrian as it is to a cyclist faced by a car. The future is in cyclists own hands.

DRHysted

Guru
Ex-motorcyclist here, so I know where you are coming from (ex-4x4 owner as well, so really becoming a hated cyclist makes sense).
The facts are that most of the New Forest has a blanket speed limit of 40mph due to the real problem of livestock roaming freely, this means that the local riders don't hurtle anywhere, because ponies, cows, deer, badgers tend to hurt (only yesterday I had a pony who was grazing alongside the road do an elk test on me). The offroad cycle paths (which are shared) are wide enough for cycles and pedestrians to pass without incident (if the mothers with buggies group would walk less than 4 abreast, or haven abid leave some path for others).

This is a few high placed people who have got a bee in their bonnet. Problem is there is form here, when mountain bikes first became popular (late 80's) the Forestry Commission (the New Forest has only just got National Park status, which was apposed by most locals) blanket banned all cyclist from the forest, eventually they let us back in, but only on graveled tracks.

sidevalve

Über Member
DRHysted I am not doubting anything you say, in fact I think you are 100% correct BUT the fact still remains that there are stupid cyclists who will ruin everything. Yes the buggy brigade and or the elderly may clog up the paths but mummy and baby and granny will always get lots of sympathy and the big bad cyclist will not. This may be totally unfair but it is true. The behavior of 99% of cyclists is [like the behavior of 99% m/cyclists] irrelevant. Even hitting a maniac badger will cause an outcry [never mind that the rider ended up in casualty]. The campaigners are looking for ammo and I'm afraid there are those [and, as I said, more than most like to admit] who will give it to them. I freely admit I can't think of a solution but it's just that I think the "we're only harmless cyclists"and the old "it wasn't my fault" card is starting to wear a bit thin.

PpPete

Legendary Member
As someone who rides in the NF not infrequently - and been on the receiving end of some poor driving, poor pedestrian behaviour, and witnessed some very arrogant behaviour from cyclists, I'd only say that I'm also not in favour of the big Wiggle type events.
During the events themselves, having that many riders out at one time and in one area must render the roads / tracks pretty much unusable (or at least very inconvenient) for anyone else, however well behaved the cyclists... and as noted above not all of them are considerate. Before and after the events the proliferation of their horrid orange signage (every 10 metres or so even along a straight road with no possible turns) is just ....well... xx(

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I also ride the NF on an almost weekly basis, and the biggest trouble is the behaviour of motorists, particularly 4x4 drivers.

the wiggle event in the NF is usually very well run and very rarely have there been any incidents. The local businesses thrive on the cyclists presence, particularly Burley tea rooms who take considerable amounts of money all year round and who have actually had to extend premises just to cope!

I sit here typing this when I should be riding around the NF on the sunday sportive. Theyve cancelled due to 'bad weather'. The closer truth is probably that they messed up the parking arrangements having stupidly booked the new forest show ground (also known as the new forest mud bath) for parking. Noone will know why they left the college this year, but I suppose it was probably due to the extreme numbers and that the college wouldnt have time to clear up before the first day of the summer term tomorrow.

So whats happened is that the press have gotton hold of 2 or 3 locals who didnt agree, and pushed it into everyones heads.

simple thing is... if you dont want tourists, dont live in a national park.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
As someone who rides in the NF not infrequently - and been on the receiving end of some poor driving, poor pedestrian behaviour, and witnessed some very arrogant behaviour from cyclists, I'd only say that I'm also not in favour of the big Wiggle type events.
During the events themselves, having that many riders out at one time and in one area must render the roads / tracks pretty much unusable (or at least very inconvenient) for anyone else, however well behaved the cyclists... and as noted above not all of them are considerate. Before and after the events the proliferation of their horrid orange signage (every 10 metres or so even along a straight road with no possible turns) is just ....well... xx(

Pete.. from your post it appears that youve never actually ridden the event? I did the event last year with 1999 riders and hardly saw a sole on the roads with me except the start and the end. Riders are released in batches so that they dont clog the roads, this works extremely well.

As for the orange signs, theyre always taken down at the end of the event.. except for the ones that the protesters throw in the hedge.

OP
OP
X

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
I also ride the NF on an almost weekly basis, and the biggest trouble is the behaviour of motorists, particularly 4x4 drivers.

the wiggle event in the NF is usually very well run and very rarely have there been any incidents. The local businesses thrive on the cyclists presence, particularly Burley tea rooms who take considerable amounts of money all year round and who have actually had to extend premises just to cope!

I sit here typing this when I should be riding around the NF on the sunday sportive. Theyve cancelled due to 'bad weather'. The closer truth is probably that they messed up the parking arrangements having stupidly booked the new forest show ground (also known as the new forest mud bath) for parking. Noone will know why they left the college this year, but I suppose it was probably due to the extreme numbers and that the college wouldnt have time to clear up before the first day of the summer term tomorrow.

So whats happened is that the press have gotton hold of 2 or 3 locals who didnt agree, and pushed it into everyones heads.

simple thing is... if you dont want tourists, dont live in a national park.
This:cursing:
This:banghead:
This :thumbsup:

MY SiL lives in New Milton and according to the locals,

Wiggle is planning over 5,000 riders each day!

They will all be cycling round in a big bunch preventing traffic movement for several miles as the bunch passes

It is dishonestly promoted as it is really a massive cycle race, and the so called "Sportive" element is merely a pack of lies to get round the Policing and Insurance regulations!

Peteaud

Veteran
I would have thought in this time of austerity, tourism in any form would be welcomed. So if the New forest wants only car drivers then the thousands of cyclists should head elsewhere, taking the £1000's with them.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
MY SiL lives in New Milton and according to the locals,

Wiggle is planning over 5,000 riders each day!

They will all be cycling round in a big bunch preventing traffic movement for several miles as the bunch passes

It is dishonestly promoted as it is really a massive cycle race, and the so called "Sportive" element is merely a pack of lies to get round the Policing and Insurance regulations!

Have I misread your post?

I don't know what the numbers were yesterday, but there's no way 5000 each day. And no one rides in a massive bunch. Last year the most I saw riding together (other than the start) were about 5. If you go to the forest on any Saturday and Sunday there are similar numbers spread out over the forest.

So it's not a race.. It's a sportive. Batches of about 20 are released a few minutes apart at the start which is awesomely well controlled.

Have I misread your post?

I don't know what the numbers were yesterday, but there's no way 5000 each day. And no one rides in a massive bunch. Last year the most I saw riding together (other than the start) were about 5. If you go to the forest on any Saturday and Sunday there are similar numbers spread out over the forest.

So it's not a race.. It's a sportive. Batches of about 20 are released a few minutes apart at the start which is awesomely well controlled.

No you haven't misread.

This is what the locals are being led to believe by the local campaigners to have it stopped.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Pete.. from your post it appears that youve never actually ridden the event? I did the event last year with 1999 riders and hardly saw a sole on the roads with me except the start and the end. Riders are released in batches so that they dont clog the roads, this works extremely well.
Thats good to know, thank you.

As for the orange signs, theyre always taken down at the end of the event.. except for the ones that the protesters throw in the hedge.
The signage goes up at least a couple of days before..... and why do you need SO MANY signs on a straight road with no junctions?

Top Bottom