anti-virus for win98?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I was just about to download an old version of avg for this w98 old thinkpad I've recently been given, and I suddenly thought what's the point - it won't have been updated so it'll be wide open to any virus/trojan of the last five years. Is that right? Is there any point? Is there any anti-virus software for w98 that's worth having, or do I just have to be careful what I download/open?

I don't know without looking but the answer is, if you can't download updates, then having virus software becomes, to a large extent, null and void. Once OS's go out of Microsoft support because you won't get any updates either, then using them for internet work definetly has a risk.

If it will run 98 it should run 2000, is that still supported? If so it'll be worth upgrading, you'll also get USB support and various other plug and play features and 2000 will just upgrade over 98 and if I recall correctly, will roll back to.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Chances are, that without a firewall or anti-virus software, as soon as you connect it to the internet all sorts of nasties will find it, no matter how careful you are in your browsing. You would be better of removing Win 98 and using Linux...

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks for your replies - sorry I didn't thank you earlier...I forgot all about posting this. D'oh.

Hmmm - I shall look into Linux. I presume all the drivers will still work - for the screen, audio and so on?

Top Bottom