Antibiotics resistance, I have a question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am all for cutting back on antibiotics, only used them myself when desperately needed.

In the future, if I stick to my policy of using them sparingly, if ever, will I become more susceptible to infection? What I don't understand is will the usefulness of antibiotics in treating infection change for the population as a whole or for each individual? Will the infections become untreatable because an individual has continued to use them or because many other people continue to use them?

I understand they are also in the food chain and can only do so much to avoid.

As far as I understand it, cutting use on an individual won't help you as an individual.

The infections will become resistant to antibiotics due to natural selection, these infections that are resistant, are going to be just as resistant to treatment in you, as they are in others.

The only thing that will help, is many individuals cutting antibiotic use to help us as a population. Which is why I think there's such as big struggle, as if just a minority reduce the usage, they will still see no benefit.

classic33

Leg End Member
Your immune system should get stronger, as a result of not using them.
It becomes less reliant on an artificial system to do its job. Up to a point.

U

User33236

Another part of the problem seems to be people not finishing their prescribed course as they 'feel better' and no longer see the need to take them. Any traces left behind can then become resistance to the antibiotic that was being taken.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I am all for cutting back on antibiotics, only used them myself when desperately needed.

In the future, if I stick to my policy of using them sparingly, if ever, will I become more susceptible to infection? What I don't understand is will the usefulness of antibiotics in treating infection change for the population as a whole or for each individual? Will the infections become untreatable because an individual has continued to use them or because many other people continue to use them?

I understand they are also in the food chain and can only do so much to avoid.
I think the big worry is that they are in the food chain.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It puzzles me that the news story has been that we ought to use them less, but they're only available on prescription, so surely it's the doctors who need educating.

I think the public are being 'educated' too, to stop them harassing doctors to be prescribed antibiotics for things that they won't help with (e.g. colds) and when things are likely to clear up on their own.
I think part of the problem is some of the shocking employment practices.

Many minimum wage workers are only a wage packet away from missing bill payments. With low wages, and employers who pay no sick pay, and the measly SSP only kicking in after 3 shifts missed. Can result in people using the GP for minor ailments. People often can't wait a week or so for symptoms to clear up, and need to be at least symptom free as soon as possible to be straight back in work.

Cubist

Still wavin'
It puzzles me that the news story has been that we ought to use them less, but they're only available on prescription, so surely it's the doctors who need educating.
You'd think so, but there are a lot of folk who self medicate via i the web and the black market is chocful with all sorts of prescription only drugs (and fakes). Also, it ain't just a UK problem, these organisms are global.

Add to that the demanding patients who kick off if they don't get what they think they need, and (anecdotally) unscrupulous docs who are happy to prescribe them willy-nilly

albion

Guru
A likely waste of time.

Farming uses far more antibiotics in order to cope with the very extreme concentration of animals in building.
It will be this creating most antibiotic resistance.

stephec

Legendary Member
If I were a doctor, I would prescribe Woods rum. It whitens the teeth, strengthens the gums and makes childbirth a pleasure (according to an old sailor I used to know :giggle:).

I once had a long discussion with Vernon about this. And he concurred that we should be offering rum on the NHS.
Special kiddies medicine as well.

028_04042014_09-28.png

Not all the time

Many patients will not leave without antibiotics as they see them as a right

One colleague was the subject of an official complaint because she refused to prescribe them for a patient with a cold

Top Bottom