any advice on cuda mayhem 20" boys?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bee_reay

Hi everyone ^_^

I'm new to this site and hoping someone will be able to help. I'm getting DS a new bike for Xmas and after lots of research I'm between a ridgeback rx20 or a cuda mayhem. (budget less than £200, ideally nearer £150) Two years ago he got a silver ridgeback mx16 for Xmas and it was great so i know the ridgeback would be a good option but it only comes in grey or silver and i'm reluctant to get him essentially the same bike. Santa wouldn't do that i don't think.

I'm really not an expert but to me the cuda mayhem looks like a good bike. I can't see much difference between it and the ridgeback. Can anyone tell me if it is good or just a bike shaped object?

Did a quick forum search and notice another member got one for his daughter but i can't do pms yet.

thanks x

Roadrider48

Voice of the people

The Cuda looks like it's got stamped drop outs and cheaper components. I know the Ridgeback bikes and would tend towards them as a decent brand.

I know you said your budget but if you went for something like an Isla bike, much better at that age, when he grows out of it, you will nearly get your money back so strong is the 2nd hand market. You can check that yourself on ebay. Buying any other make, like Ridgeback, you will lose most of your money on re-sale, if it lasts. Isla is unique in this respect. Just a thought.

OP
OP
B

bee_reay

What are stamped drop outs?

I'm hearing about Islabikes everywhere but just can't stretch to it. Because everyone recommends them it's hard to find fair objective opinions on other brands coz none of them are as good as IB (not that I'm arguing, I can see they're really good). tbh I'm not too worried about resale. The ridgeback he currently has is in a bit of a state, very well used, in and out of the the car boot so i don't mind selling it for quite cheap. He doesn't throw the bike about but I'm no good at bike maintenance beyond pumping up tyres so all I'll do it wash it before selling.

My daughter is getting a pink ridgeback mx16 (her first proper bike) from Santa so I'm buying 2 bikes, another reason I can't afford IB.

I'd go for the Ridgeback. 20" is getting to the point where kids are at the age where they can dish out abuse to bikes. I'm not sure that the Cuda looks capable of much abuse. Hang the colour, quality comes first. Don't underestimate what kids can do on a 20" bike.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bee_reay

I know you're right. Even though my budget is low i don't want to waste my £150 +. It's trying to balance budget, quality and what he's actually gonna do on it. There are kids going about my street on muddy fox bikes which is what my son originally wanted but it's a heavy steel frame bike. What about this bike Vitus Minimum? Got it suggested from another forum...

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/goto.php?wtg=...itus-bikes-minium-kids-bike-2013/rp-prod85582

don't worry I'll get off your back soon LOl ;)

sreten

Hi,

So your selling your sons MX16 and buying your daughter a MX16 ?

I know hand me downs don't go down that well with siblings but you seem
to be getting it somewhat wrong. You've bought a decent bike for your son
and with basic maintenance it will clearly outlast the rate he is growing.

You have a choice of learning and teaching basic maintenance and
getting a nice bike for both your son and daughter, in that she will
get it when he outgrows it, consequently he needs to look after it.

YMMV but the obvious consequence is they will both always will
have nicer bikes for your budget than treating them separately,
as long as the bikes are maintained well, and then moving them
on for a decent price, rather than cheap, to keep up the budget.

The clear point of Islabikes, and why they go pretty high used,
is they are intended to be moved between siblings, cousins
and friends children, and they are bought by bicyclists who
know how to maintain them, so hardly ever abused.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
I don't know Vitus but that looks a decent bike with a reasonable specification. See if you can find some reviews but it looks way better than the Cuda and more like the Ridgeback. Cool colour too.

Scoop940

I know you're right. Even though my budget is low i don't want to waste my £150 +. It's trying to balance budget, quality and what he's actually gonna do on it. There are kids going about my street on muddy fox bikes which is what my son originally wanted but it's a heavy steel frame bike. What about this bike Vitus Minimum? Got it suggested from another forum...

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/goto.php?wtg=...itus-bikes-minium-kids-bike-2013/rp-prod85582

don't worry I'll get off your back soon LOl ;)

Looks like a good suggestion... that's me on the other forum BTW :smile:

Just asked over there too, how about a BMX or is that not his thing?

OP
OP
B

bee_reay

Although I fully understand the point you make about Islabikes, Sreten, it means my daughter will never get a new bike just for her which may seem frivolous and materialistic but I'd say quite important to a child. It also means my son will never get the style/colour of bike he wants which may mean he never gets a top end bike but that he gets a bike he loves. This year will probably be the only year we get them both a bike for Xmas and going forward will try to source 2nd hand better bikes for them outwith Xmas.

Cycling is a casual thing for us at the moment. Maybe in a couple of years or so down the line things might be different.

debs 1974

Just wondering what the outcome of this was? I'm going through the same "dilemma" for my sons birthday in May with the same choices as yourself! Have to say I got a cuda bmx style for my 5 year old at xmas and he loves it!

ckracer76

We ordered a Cuda Mayhem Purple for my daughter and it arrived today. We are very happy with the bike.

file.php

Cuda20.jpg (41.89 KiB) Viewed 4 times
The bicycle is supplied from distributor Moore Large & Co. http://www.moorelarge.co.uk/brands.php who also supply Haro BMX and Moda bikes among other brands. We bought ours from Winstanleys bike shophttp://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/ .

The bike is supplied boxed and requires some assembly and bicycle know-how although the gears were set up perfectly by the factory. I oiled the chain and cassette and adjusted the brakes. Brake levers are adjustable with a screw adjuster to bring them nearer to the handlebars for little hands. Tyres pumped to 40psi and pedals attached with a spanner and a touch of grease.

Good build quality and components for the £140 we paid and it's very lightweight which is perfect for kids. We chose this model over the Specialized Hotrock 20 Pink as it does not have a cheap suspension fork at the front to weigh it down or go wrong (plus the Cuda is £110 cheaper).

The frame is painted and well finished and made of aluminium so it won't rust. The V-brakes are powerful and the 6-speed Shimano gears although basic are proven and easily operated by a Shimano Revo twist grip.

Downsides; brake levers are plastic rather than alloy so are at risk if bike is dropped. Tyres are good quality Kenda tyres but black and white off-road MTB style tyres which I will change to Michelin Diabolo City tyres. Most of her riding is street so a street/city/BMX tyre would be faster and safer in the wet.

This little bike should prove durable and provide a couple of years cycling fun until she outgrows it.

Overall 9/10

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
The Mad Scientist's bike is a second-hand Cuda Mayhem. Although the paint's a bit scuffed, the bike itself is solid enough. I've replaced the Revoshift twist-grip with a trigger shifter and the brake levers with some junior-sized Tekros, but only because the Mad Scientist has really small hands. I've also fitted SKS Velo Kids 55 mudguards, which fit well along with the optional stay kit. She loves it. I'd have no hesitation in buying another. I understand the point about Islabikes - they may be about the best and you'll get most of your money back, but if you haven't got the money in the first place, it's a moot point.

Top Bottom