Any binmen on the board????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greedo

If so, you really are a bunch of lazy gits these days!

I remember the days when they would come round your back door, lift binbags over their shoulders, carry them and lob them in the lorry. leaving you with a couple of fresh binbags! If a bag burst they'd come a brush up the mess and shovel it into the lorry

These days they do eff all. The bins are wheeled out to them by the home owner and all the do is wheel it to a lorry that does all the lifting. Then they put it back nowhere near where they got it. The house holder then comes home and has to spend 10 mins trying to find their bin as it is up the other end of the road.

They really are a lazy shower these days! Paid to do nothing.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
The pub I used to work in the binmen were all on the piss come one o'clock.

And then there was the dreymen......

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Our bin men wont take your bin if the lid does not shut 100%....

Maybe a mass generalisation but the ones down by me are all either on communty service or just been released I think, so naturally I do some extra tip runs instead of overloading my bin and risk having my nose bitten off on my front lawn!

snakehips

It really is a growth industry.

We have at least four different lots ....... Landfill , Food and cardboard , Mixed recycleables (glass/metal/plastic bottles/textiles) and paper , Garden waste.

All come round at different times , all block the streets causing congestion , anger , and waste of the planet's non-renewable carbon based energy resources.

regards.jpg
from.jpg
snakehips.jpg

Arch

Married to Night Train
User76 said:
Our binmen are OK, but the recycling tosspots are a completely different story. They seem to be on their ethical high horses, even refusing to take some (rinsed) jars an elderly neighbour left out with the tops on. When challenged, the crusty new-age stig told her "different processes sweetheart, thats glass and metal, different processes" the neighbour is well in her 80s:angry:

Well, as a part time casual recycling collector, I hope you don't brand us all the same. We take what we're supposed to, including lidded jars, even when most of the jars or cans aren't remotely rinsed, or the plastic bottles are still half full of milk/coke/god knows what. We do occasionally turn up our noses at boxes with nappies or condoms in, or months old soggy cardboard that we don't take, but some people can't be bothered to take back out of the boxes once it's rejected once. And as for the idea of some people squashing plastic bottles to take up less room and maybe save us an extra pedal powered trip? No chance.

We have one nice round, the one that includes my street actually, where the majority of stuff is clean, and the papers are broadsheets, but we also have some really shitty rounds. Perhaps Maggot, you'd like to give it a try in high summer. Meet some of your namesakes....

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I find the bin men I meet on my travels are one of my favourites of the large vehicles. They are usually cheery and happy to let a cyclist go by, and some how I end up saying hello to lots of them. And despite the smell I would rather be behind a bin lorry on the whole - though obviously with caution as they reverse a lot - but then I know they have a camera so that they can see behind.

The main bin lorry men are nice - the only ones I'm not keen on are the recycling lot when they don't clear up after dropped glass but I've been known to go and tell them that they have dropped some glass and generally they go back and sweep it up. (As long as you do that Arch you are fine by me).

Arch

Married to Night Train
summerdays said:
The main bin lorry men are nice - the only ones I'm not keen on are the recycling lot when they don't clear up after dropped glass but I've been known to go and tell them that they have dropped some glass and generally they go back and sweep it up. (As long as you do that Arch you are fine by me).

We try not to drop it in the first place, and we pick up what we can if we do, but we don't tend to carry a broom.

I'm sure the bin men have to do more in less time for less money whilst complying with whatever criteria their management can come up with.

Like the rest of us.

Arch

Married to Night Train
You're a binman???

I'm a casual part time recycling collector, as I said before...

Bin men have it easy, they don't have to sort the rubbish by hand... I still wouldn't fancy it as a full time job though...

Arch

Married to Night Train
rich p said:
Our binmen are great. They even come up my back passage if we forget to put the bin out.:tongue:

Now, I draw the line somewhere....

Anyway, I'm not a bin man, I'm a part time Womble.

snakehips

Arch said:
I'm a part time Womble.

I'm not sure they had the right attitude either. Didn't they claim that 'even when their their tidybags were leaking they laughed about it all the way home'.

No mention of going back and picking up what they had dropped ... unless that came in another verse.

snakehips.jpg

Arch

Married to Night Train
User76 said:
Sorry Arch, I didn't realise the traumas you lot go through. I mean fancy some worthless scumbag householder not rinsing out a coke can before you highly skilled recycling operatives come along:rolleyes: If I understand the process, the whole lot is either melted or pulped (or sent to China in an aeroplane), I would have thought a furnace would clear a bit of old baked bean sauce away.

Not squashing up plastic bottles as well, bastards. Hang the lot 'em

Maybe your last paragraph gives it away. Maybe only people who read broadsheet newspapers should be allowed the freedom to recycle without state intervention. Those Independent readers, scum the lot of them:rolleyes:

Oh dear. Perhaps you'd like to have to pick up half full tins of mushy peas, or jars of pasta sauce half filled with sauce and half with scummy water, or pick up boxes that then drain mouldy water over your feet because they've been left out in a frint garden all week in the rain. It takes a few seconds to rinse something decently, it doesn't have to be spotless, but just not still half full of rotten food and left out in the sun for a week. I suppose it's not very important in the world sceme of things, but it's like someone letting a door shut in your face instead of taking a second to hold it open - inconsiderate. I wash my stuff, and sort it into bags, it takes no time, and no effort. Clearly I'm being some kind of mug.

And yes, the better newspapers seem to correlate with better care taken, and generally in my (limited) experience, more cheery hellos from residents. I can't help that.

Top Bottom