any I.T experts please make yourself known...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

>defragmenting

I found out the more memory you have the longer this takes ;) - the other day..it nearly took ALL day !

Van Nick

yenrod said:
>defragmenting

I found out the more memory you have the longer this takes ;) - the other day..it nearly took ALL day !

Having more memory (RAM) should make it quicker, but a bigger hard disk will take longer to defrag.

I tend not to bother with defragging and simply reformat about once a year. I find it very therapeutic - it's like clearing your mind and the P.C. runs much quicker afterwards and is clear of all malware, viruses and trojans etc.

just jim

You should only ever reinstall the O.S when you are feeling prepared (everything backed up, have the serial number ready) and calm (cos you lose the lot) and have some time on your hands since it takes a good hour to do this.
Try installing spybot and give your system a scan. Install CCleaner and get rid of any crud in the registry etc.

Reinstall shmeeinstall.

Carwash

Señor Member
Defragging? Reformatting + reinstalling on an annual basis? Good grief, it's the 21st century for crying out loud! Computing does not have to be like this! It's amazing what people will put up with, when you think about it.

just jim

As far as I know yes, though I don't care to find out. I like Vista, despite my own reservations and the negative vista vibes. It all works.

Reinstall at your own risk, defrag one in a while (but this won't get rid of spyware etc.) or google the problem - it's not always a full on panic situation.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
If you're using Firefox 3, check you don't have the Adblock add-on. If you do, remove it and replace it with AdblockPlus.

I had terrible bother with flash apps after I moved to FF3, even with Adblock turned off. Then I found that it caused trouble in FF3 and that AdblockPlus was the solution.

Job done and all now works perfectly !

red_tom

Carwash said:
Defragging? Reformatting + reinstalling on an annual basis? Good grief, it's the 21st century for crying out loud! Computing does not have to be like this! It's amazing what people will put up with, when you think about it.

Yeah, you should be tweaking and recompiling your kernel on a weekly basis. :tongue:

bonj2

Uncle Mort said:
Yuck - the Registry. The nightmares that bloody thing gave me over the years :blush: Does Windows Vista still have it or is it gone now?

oh, god yes.
The registry is fast losing popularity amongst application developers and has become deeply unfashionable, but has its tendrils of dependency far, far too deep into both the operating system and to old-but-current, and legacy, applications, to be done away with - probably ever.

Top Bottom