Any Rockabilly Rebels in the house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Maz said:
Yeah. They had a thumping album called Oohwallahwallah. Irreverent and absolutely brilliant.

I've still got the shaped vinyl record of the single - rat on a dustbin if I remember rightly!

Still love the Stray Cats and The Cramps.
There was some good 50s rockabilly but an awful lot of dross too.
Billy Lee Riley was/is one of the best.

Renard

Yeah, forgot about the Cramps. Liked them too! Think that was sort of sub genre Psychobilly?

Best Stray Cats song was 'Runaway Boy' in my book. Cool bassline.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
This talk of rockabilly has reminded me of when I lived in Oxford there used to be - might still be - a really good band called 'Sugar Creek Trio' who played in Bonn Square on a Saturday.

They were hep to the jive daddy-o!!! :biggrin:

Of oldies I think the one I like best is Ronnie Dawson AKA The Blonde Bomber AKA The Waxahachie Wildman. When me and Mrs 3BM were last in Texas B) we stayed in Waxahachie (beautiful Texas town on the gingerbread trail) and the little town square museum had a Ronnie Dawson exhibit. The curator was quite surprised that we knew of him - in actual fact Mrs 3BM saw him live supporting The Cramps.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
For those of you who like the Cramps and such stuff may I recommend the following. I don't have the link handy at work. Google Lux and Ivy's favourites (no quotes) the third result should be a net radio station (WMFU?) with several volumes of great music to download. Get the whole lot. There is some amazing stuff there.

U

User169

Anyone remember the Krewmen? The drummer was a few years ahead of me at school and I used to hear him practising since his parents house was quite close to mine.

GrahamG

Guru
I dipped my toe and bought a Rev. Horton Heat album once - love it but never looked any further into the genre. Must go out and get some Stray Cats/ Cramps judging from the above descriptions.

U

User169

Uncle Mort said:
Wow - that's going back some years, but yes, I saw them at Manchester Poly. It must have been early eighties.

Good to see that someone's heard of them, although I don't think they had very much to recommend them other than the ability to play exceptionally fast.

King Kurt are the other name from that period that comes to mind. They had a wheel contraption to which a fan would get strapped and spun around until he/she puked. One of them is now a partner in a very large law firm!

Top Bottom