Any Yorkshire people been to Ye Olde Punchbowl

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greedo

in Marton-Cum-Grafton??

Was there on Saturday for lunch and I must say I thought it was excellent.

Food was great and so was the service.

Pity it's owned by Neil Morrissey ;)

His mate who owns it was there and he seemed alright if not a tad loud and look at me a bit.

Surprisingly their own beer was pretty good. Worth a trip as I'd rather give them the money than some big chain owned place.

No TV's either, which is always a plus.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
That would be an easy ride out from York. Thanks for the tip.

papercorn2000

Greedo said:
in Marton-Cum-Grafton??

Was there on Saturday for lunch and I must say I thought it was excellent.

Food was great and so was the service.

Pity it's owned by Neil Morrissey :wacko:

His mate who owns it was there and he seemed alright if not a tad loud and look at me a bit.

Surprisingly their own beer was pretty good. Worth a trip as I'd rather give them the money than some big chain owned place.

No TV's either, which is always a plus.

I hope you were on holiday! Otherwise, that's one hell of a Sunday run!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I planned to in December actually but the weather was so horrific that day I ended up not doing so.

Other reviews I've heard about it have been somewhat mixed. Morrissey Fox drinks do roaring business down south though.

Greedo what was the price like and what did you eat?

OP
OP
G

Greedo

Basket of bread for the table
Me and my mate had the Angus burger which was great served with chips
Mrs Greedo had fish and chips which was lovely. The batter was great
The other chick has a sandwich of something not sure served with chips
and their wee boy had ham, egg and chips. He doesn't like fried egg and they made him scrambled no problem

Me and my mate had a pint of their Blond beer which was not bad and the girls had 2 soft drinks each and so did their wee boy.

I paid the bill and it was only £48 for all that.

marinyork said:
I planned to in December actually but the weather was so horrific that day I ended up not doing so.

Other reviews I've heard about it have been somewhat mixed. Morrissey Fox drinks do roaring business down south though.

Greedo what was the price like and what did you eat?

jack the lad

I went a few weeks ago. I wouldn't bother again, there is better food and better beer available in the area.

Food was good, but overpriced for what it was.

The home-brew was exactly that. I had the blond beer and it was the first time in many years that I've not been able to finish a pint. If you saw the TV programme you'll have seen that when they tested it on the public it got a lot of criticism, but Fox and Morrisey are such arrogant tossers that they completely dismissed it. Sorry, but the public were right, it is rubbish. Go to any Black Sheep pub instead.

For a posh meal try the Crab & Lobster at Aisenby. For good honest food and a nice pint, try my local - the New Inn at Tholthorpe (Hambleton Pub of the Year), the Durham Ox at Crayke (runner up) or the Wombwell Arms at Wass (where we went on the recent forum ride).

OP
OP
G

Greedo

I wouldn't say it was arrogance. It was confidence in their product.

If people who set up businesses listened to the doubters then there would be few and far between businesses about. Mine included. It's jealousy. Plain and simple. People get pleasure from people failing.

I'm not by any stretch a Neil Morrissey fan and actually think he's a pretty shite actor but fair play to him for pursuing a dream and making a few bob in the meantime.

Good luck to them as it seems while Morrissey I'm sure could live with losing £25,000 if it went tits up I doubt his mate could afford it. And you can't tell me that pub is not in a better position now that it was when they got hold of it?

jack the lad said:
I went a few weeks ago. I wouldn't bother again, there is better food and better beer available in the area.

The home-brew was exactly that. I had the blond beer and it was the first time in many years that I've not been able to finish a pint. If you saw the TV programme you'll have seen that when they tested it on the public it got a lot of criticism, but Fox and Morrisey are such arrogant tossers that they completely dismissed it. Sorry, but the public were right, it is rubbish. Go to any Black Sheep pub instead.

For a posh meal try the Crab & Lobster at Aisenby. For good honest food and a nice pint, try my local - the New Inn at Tholthorpe (Hambleton Pub of the Year), the Durham Ox at Crayke (runner up) or the Wombwell Arms at Wass (where we went on the recent forum ride).

jack the lad

Greedo said:
If people who set up businesses listened to the doubters then there would be few and far between businesses about. Mine included. It's jealousy. Plain and simple. People get pleasure from people failing.

If more people who set up businesses were prepared to listen to their customers (and, more importantly, potential customers) there would be more successful businesses about, not fewer.

They asked customers to test their beer but then completely ignored them because they weren't saying what Fox and Morrissey wanted to hear. The result is that they still sell beer which even you can only bring yourself to describe as "not bad" - hardly a ringing endorsement. My pint didn't even reach that standard, it was 'bad'.

There are so many excellent beers sold in excellent pubs that it will not do their business any good in the long run to keep selling beer that is, at best, 'not bad'. They may survive, but they could do even better and thrive if they improved their brew, but they will only do that once they start listening to customers.

OP
OP
G

Greedo

Always believe honesty is the best policy and always admit when I'm wrong.

The pub I drink in had a guest beer last night and it was Morrissey Fox Blonde. I have to admit that it was rotten.

maybe I was swayed with the great burger last sat in their pub but the beer last night was awful. I finished my pint out of determination but my mate left his after 3 drinks and I've never seen him do that in my life.

If I was an 18 year old student and i made this as a homebrew i would be quite chuffed but as a commercial beer for sale it was dreadful.

So I must admit you were right!

jack the lad said:

HelenD123

Legendary Member
It's on as a Red Nose special isn't it? I noticed they had it in my local on Thursday. Hopefully that means it won't be around for long, not that I drunk it. I was on the lager.

Top Bottom