Anyone else like riding though tunnels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

If you're into tunnels, do the Liverpool Chester Liverpool ride on July 5th. There are various distance options up to 90 miles. It's the only cycle event in the UK with 5 miles underground as they close the Mersey Tunnels to traffic to allow the cyclists through :angry:
http://www.everydaycycling.com/edc/events/events_2009/20090705_liverpool_chester_liverpool_ride.aspx

papercorn2000

When I lived in Auckland, some friends and I used to run in the Waitakere hills. There were miles and miles of traails there - some were associated with old forestry works. There used to be a network of narrow guage railway lines in the hills - long since removed - but the paths and tunnels are still there.

Some were about 1.5m high and up to 400-500m long. To negotiate them, you had to stoop and walk very slowly - protecting your head withone hand. The only light was from glow-worms hanging from the ceiling.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.raby1/waitakere/tunnel2.jpg

http://elizaw.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/glowworm.jpg

Eventually, we remembered to start bringing a head torch with us which made these tunnels a little less scary!

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
cheadle hulme said:
I cycle under Runway 2 at Manchester Airport quite a bit, the picture doesn't do it justice. Its more like a space hangar, especially at night.

proxy

how kl :biggrin:

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
Mr Pig said:
That tunnel is for whimps! ;0)

Just above the Falkirk Wheel, on the Union Canal, there are two canal tunnels. The first is quite short and quite well lit. The second is long, I'm guessing but maybe about a mile. So on the cobbled towpath you've got a stone wall on one side and and hand rail on the other between you and the canal. Depending on the time of day it can be pitch black in the middle of the tunnel, you can't see your hand in front of your face. You are not supposed to ride through it for obvious reasons. The cobbles are wet, water pours out of the roof at parts, if you fell over you might well go over the hand rail into the pitch black water and the only thing to keep you going straight is the light you can fleetingly make out on the top of the hand rail!

The first time we went through this tunnel we all got off and walked, there was about eight of us. We cycled into the tunnel but very soon started getting disorientated and bumping into each other etc so got off. Even then as we all walked through it was still hard.

There were just three of us the last time we went through it and we cycled it! I'll be honest, I really didn't like it. The other two were in front of me and they just kept peddling. We'd been against the wind for miles, we were fed up and we just wanted to get back but if it hadn't been for them I would've gotten off and walked. The only reason I stayed on the bike was that I didn't want to end up way behind.

As it was I went slower than them. It was very disorientating and you had to try and look at different things to keep you straight. If you just looked at the light at the end, or at the rail, you got kind of dizzy and wobbly. It wasn't nice.

The tunnel now has lights, but it's still scary. Now that is a f****** tunnel! ;0)

spaceball.gif

2266913-In_the_tunnel-Falkirk.jpg

how do u ride through that :biggrin:

purplepolly

longers said:
There's a good tunnel on the Transpennine Trail. Brilliant for echoes, so good I rode through it three times making daft noises :sad:

Every time my Dad walks or cycles through a tunnel or under an old stone railway bridge he calls out 'echo....'. Every single time. Without fail.

Zorro

Veteran
Tried riding through rotherhithe tunnel in London to cut a few miles off my commute. NEVER NEVER again. It was so fume filled from all the traffic I almost passed out :ohmy: when cycling through. I am sure the other tunnels you guys have posted aren't that bad - they look quite roomy - Rotherhithe tunnel is only just two lanes wide and not very high.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Once tried the Rotherhithe tunnel and turned back once I saw the fog of exhaust.:ohmy:
It is fun to cycle thru the Greenwhich Foot Tunnel very late at night when there's no one down there.:biggrin:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
dellzeqq said:
I've done the Rotherhithe Tunnel a few times, and it's no fun, but a looooong time ago I did the Blackwall Tunnel, and it was fantastic. As in really stupid, but fantastic. And don't.

I've asked about the Limehouse Link, but, sadly, the owners say that they would shut it, and send you a bill for the expense incurred, which would, by the time m'learned friends added their little bit, be a fortune. And I've always wanted to do the Strand underpass, but haven't worked up the courage.
Haven't tried the Blackwall yet, but the Rotherhithe isn't so bad. 20 mph limit so you can sit in the middle of the lane and actually pull away from anyone who is sticking to the limit. Breathing isn't too easy, but it's quite short.

Kingsway tunnel at the strand is easy, go for it, it's got quite a steep entry and exit so is good fun...

Angel canal tunnel is good, but you need to be on a boat. Engine failed on me once and we had to walk the boat through

rich p

ridiculous old lush
tdr1nka said:
Once tried the Rotherhithe tunnel and turned back once I saw the fog of exhaust.:evil:
It is fun to cycle thru the Greenwhich Foot Tunnel very late at night when there's no one down there.:blush:

What do they do if you're seen riding? Stop you using the lift, puncture your tyres? I'm always too law abiding to break the rules!:blush:

Top Bottom