Anyone fancy a punt?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
This is just a germ of an idea, I thought i'd throw it out there and see where it takes us...:biggrin:

I'm toying with the idea of riding up to Cambridge from Billericay(when the weather looks better), stopping overnight in the YHA Hostel and riding back the next day. From here it's about 100km each way.

I have no fixed plans, no fixed dates just an idea that on a hot weekend a nice long ride followed by a punt on the river and some decent beer might be a laugh.From where I live it's a nice long straight countryside ride there & back pretty much, taking in the towns of GT. Dunmow, Thaxted and Saffron walden along the way.

I dunno how (or if) this might be workable as a CC ride...any thoughts from the gallery?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sounds a great plan. I would be up for it.

The Bromley Cyclists are doing something similar, London to Oxford in July (We did this last year, great fun)

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

I am riding up from here, would you ride from here or from your own kick off points and meet up en route or in Cambridge?

Here is the route (ish)...about 90km and a bit

I was thinking of doing this on the bianchi, so I wont be able to take panniers...just my ride clothes and me toofbrush:laugh:

Yes a weekend ride I agree. Dunno which one though...and the weather is always going to be touch and go even in the summer...we'll just need to play that one by ear.

stevevw

Guru
Our local CTC are doing this on the 22nd but from Stevenage to Cambridge and back in a day. I have not looked yet but would think it will be around 80 - 90 miles

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Well it's an appealing idea, and I did a similarish distance just before New Year, but as before I might be a bit too slooooooooow for y'all. Something to bear in mind for the sunnier weather though!

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
I would be interested, of course dates times etc fitting!

And ive got new wheels on the way so no bearing excuses! (hopefully)

iLB

Hello there
well up for that BOAB, just to get the ball rolling dates wise how about the weekend of the 4-5th of April?

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

I was kind of just going to look out the window one day and see if the sun was shining and if so sling my toothbrush in by back pocket & set off ...I know that approach wont work on a CC ride...so...we can set a date...but I really want to go on the summer bike this time..so if it rains (and it does in April) ...well the appeal of sitting in a freezing waterlogged punt after a long cold wet ride isnt the same as ...drifting lazily along the sun drenched river bank with a bottle of real ale ....but we have to start somewhere so 11th 12th April seems as good a place as any.....also how about the kick off point(s)...any thoughts?

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

perhaps...I mean it makes sense weather wise....I am just hesitant to commit to a date so far ahead at the moment...things in my life are somewhat...erm....'transitional' shall we say & I dont want to let anyone down.

Top Bottom