Anyone have an unused musical instrument at home?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I like the cold tea test! I definitely have that. I'm now starting singing classes, difference being that I used to be a highly competent classical singer and I've let it degenerate, so I'm going to claw my way back up.

Now, does anyone have an old instrument that they can donate? I know there are a couple in my family.

And please sign the petition. It is a disgrace what has happened to music teaching in this country. I was in the unusual position of giving evidence at a parliamentary committee on arts funding and I told them that in 10 years all the players in British orchestras would be Venezuelan (they have the famous "El Sistema" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Sistema with 125 national youth orchestras) and that Venezuela would deserve that state of affairs and so would we.

Petition: http://www.dontstopthemusic.co.uk/add-my-name

...calling on the government to fulfil the promise that they made but neglected.

done

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
4 1/2 guitars... only play two of them, the other two are kind of for sale but finding a left handed buyer for them is tricky.
1 stylophone, can't play. it
1 mouth organ, can't play it
1 kazzoo, it's a kazzoo, who can't play it?
1 broken analogue synth
...oh and a guitarlele which i never play either.

Last edited:

Acyclo

Veteran
A Moog Etherwave Theramin has recently appeared at my gaff. Brilliant fun when used in combination with an echo machine, but not what you'd call a musical instrument.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
My daughter's sax is still at my house even though she moved out 14 years ago. I periodically toy with the idea of learning to play it.
I think it cost me 800 bleedin' quid IIRC

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have a French horn which I sporadically try and re-start playing. Got it all back into working order and unstuck the valves. I promised myself a better one if I get to grade 8 (or maybe 5). Needs an hour a night to get anywhere and there's always some excuse - and even diligent practice can only overcome lack-of-talent to some degree. Having been to some amateur concerts, there are local bands who I guess I could get into eventually - and some I could not dream of getting into which are fully pro' standard - presumably folks who earn a living doing something more lucrative but are still incredibly good musicians

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I AM a musician. At least part-time. And I do a little teaching.

And, yes, it's a crime how little music teaching there is in schools, and how poor it is, compared with when I were nobbut a lad. I had brilliant music teachers, and the schools had peripatetic teachers who were mostly professionals with the local symphony orchestra. You paid, but it was heavily subsidised and the school loaned you an instrument.

But most importantly, you got one-to-one tuition. Now kids have to learn in groups of four or five, and I can tell you from my own experience, that's a rubbish way to learn: the ablest student gets bored, the weakest one gets left behind and no-one gets as much attention as they really need.

I'm not at all sure it's even better than nothing, because parents who might otherwise have paid for private one-to-one teaching will now say 'Oh, Sprog's getting lessons at school, so there's no need', unaware that Sprog's lessons are woefully far from what he needs to help him progress.

I haven't seen the program yet (it's waiting on the TV recorder thingy), but while the appeal is a good idea, I fear that there could be a lot of really nasty instruments donated - cheap, old, in need of maintenance or repair. Trying to teach a student who has a poor instrument is an uphill battle for teacher and student.

The problem is that until you know you're going to stick with an instrument, you'll opt for a cheap one. But below a certain quality level, instruments can be unplayable or really hard to play well. And beginners and non-musicians can't tell the difference (I seem to recall similar discussions about supermarket bikes....). There are some truly awful Indian- and Chinese-built brass instruments about just now, but also some quite reasonable ones. I fear that many who've given up because they had a rubbish instrument will give it away, and the recipient will also give up for the same reason, and so on and so on.

Oh, and the only instruments I have that are unused are mostly worn out, but I can't bear to give/throw them away. (I sold a trombone once, and I've regretted it ever since). The others all get used at least from time to time.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I have a flute and a trumpet that I can't play... both were given to me years ago. I'd really love to learn the trumpet, actually.

Diggs

Veteran
A bodhrán, the obligatory drunken purchase during a Ireland England rugby weekend.
A Uke (well I am a middle aged man)
A Vibra Slapper, a gift from Mrs D as it features heavily on one of our favourite Cake CDs

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have a kazoo? :whistle:

A colleague went to a recording of "I'm sorrry I haven't a clue" and kazoos were duly handed out to the audience.

He was disappointed that his kazoo didn't work no matter how hard he blew! He has a Phd in engineering and before he worked for me he used to design control systems for spacecraft.

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
A Moog Etherwave Theramin has recently appeared at my gaff. Brilliant fun when used in combination with an echo machine, but not what you'd call a musical instrument.
Woo! I'd call it a musical instrument!
I have a French horn which I sporadically try and re-start playing.
My twin sis is a French horn player - I love the sound. Get yerself into a band, man!
I AM a musician. At least part-time. And I do a little teaching.

And, yes, it's a crime how little music teaching there is in schools, and how poor it is, compared with when I were nobbut a lad. I had brilliant music teachers, and the schools had peripatetic teachers who were mostly professionals with the local symphony orchestra. You paid, but it was heavily subsidised and the school loaned you an instrument.

But most importantly, you got one-to-one tuition. Now kids have to learn in groups of four or five, and I can tell you from my own experience, that's a rubbish way to learn: the ablest student gets bored, the weakest one gets left behind and no-one gets as much attention as they really need.

I'm not at all sure it's even better than nothing, because parents who might otherwise have paid for private one-to-one teaching will now say 'Oh, Sprog's getting lessons at school, so there's no need', unaware that Sprog's lessons are woefully far from what he needs to help him progress.

I haven't seen the program yet (it's waiting on the TV recorder thingy), but while the appeal is a good idea, I fear that there could be a lot of really nasty instruments donated - cheap, old, in need of maintenance or repair. Trying to teach a student who has a poor instrument is an uphill battle for teacher and student.

The problem is that until you know you're going to stick with an instrument, you'll opt for a cheap one. But below a certain quality level, instruments can be unplayable or really hard to play well. And beginners and non-musicians can't tell the difference (I seem to recall similar discussions about supermarket bikes....). There are some truly awful Indian- and Chinese-built brass instruments about just now, but also some quite reasonable ones. I fear that many who've given up because they had a rubbish instrument will give it away, and the recipient will also give up for the same reason, and so on and so on.

Oh, and the only instruments I have that are unused are mostly worn out, but I can't bear to give/throw them away. (I sold a trombone once, and I've regretted it ever since). The others all get used at least from time to time.
To be fair, they seemed to be getting some nice donations. The oboe I started on was a terrible old thing but as I showed aptitude my parents saved up and bought me one (this was at the same time as my elder sister was starting the flute and my twin the horn so it was a stretch for them).

I agree about lessons - I initially learnt with 2 clarinet players, then one-to-one, only 20 minutes a week but it really focussed you. I now learn piano in a group class at Morley college once a week and that really focusses you too - you have to be able to play in front of the group so you have to practise!

The programme was really inspiring and I hope James Rhodes succeeds in his aims. He has a story behind him - abusive childhood, taught himself piano, used music to recover from his subsequent mental breakdown etc. Good guy.

Please sign the petition! http://www.dontstopthemusic.co.uk/add-my-name

Last edited:
Top Bottom