Anyone have an unused musical instrument at home?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
My OH has got a massive organ (no he really has, I'm not being smutty).
No one has touched it for years. I've been telling him it's got to go and I think I've finally won the battle as he's been looking on eBay to see what it might fetch.

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
My OH has got a massive organ (no he really has, I'm not being smutty).
No one has touched it for years. I've been telling him it's got to go and I think I've finally won the battle as he's been looking on eBay to see what it might fetch.
:rofl: It's not that I don't believe you, I do! Massive organ! *sniggers*. SORRY.

having had a few goes on a recorder as a kid, and on my old lodger's sax, I thought the sax a lot lot easier to get something approximating music out of.
(I don't remotely claim I can play either by the way)
Recorders were big in our school and we played some amazing music on them - we had a bass recorder and the little wee ones and used to play something called "Sonata for Seven Recorders" which was a terrific piece of work - sopranino, descant, 2 trebles, 2 tenors and bass. This is when we were about 12 or 13. But I had a fantastic recorder teacher at primary school and we used to play from the Apted book in 3 part harmony. In fact, my sisters are over this weekend and we will be playing a bit of Bach n stuff together - there's a lot of great Baroque recorder music. I even know someone who had the recorder as one of her main instruments at music college.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I remember learning the treble recorder as well as the normal, do I remember something about the notes being different?

And you have also made me remember our music teacher in secondary school ran a baroque music group, and had a strange piano like thing that I can't remember what it was that was supposed to be a predecessor for the piano.

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
I remember learning the treble recorder as well as the normal, do I remember something about the notes being different?

And you have also made me remember our music teacher in secondary school ran a baroque music group, and had a strange piano like thing that I can't remember what it was that was supposed to be a predecessor for the piano.
Trebles have the same fingering but are in F instead of C, a fourth different. Not hard once you get used to it and possibly the nicest sound.

The piano could have been either a harpsichord (plucked strings) clavichord (strings struck with hammers), virginals (really unusual and very quiet).

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
When I was at school, i was offered a violin to play, I took it home and my mother said, "what do you want to play that thing for? You'll never learn that" So I didn't. Some weeks later I was offered the cornet and she said something similar, and I never learned that either. My mother was very good to me, but she never encouraged me to learn an instrument. I'll never forgive her for that.

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
When I was at school, i was offered a violin to play, I took it home and my mother said, "what do you want to play that thing for? You'll never learn that" So I didn't. Some weeks later I was offered the cornet and she said something similar, and I never learned that either. My mother was very good to me, but she never encouraged me to learn an instrument. I'll never forgive her for that.
:sad: That makes me sad.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Trebles have the same fingering but are in F instead of C, a fourth different. Not hard once you get used to it and possibly the nicest sound.

The piano could have been either a harpsichord (plucked strings) clavichord (strings struck with hammers), virginals (really unusual and very quiet).
I think it was the last one, though I'm not sure, I remember it was unusual and he was very proud of it. It sat in the middle of the music room, no idea if it was his own instrument or the schools.

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
Me too! I play the drums though now, as soon as I was old enough to make my own decisions I got a drum kit. I have a guitar too but I cant seem to get motivated to play it.
I can't play the drums, I'm in awe. So much co-ordination. If you can't get motivated to play the guitar you should try something else. Stare into the windows of music shops and be inspired.

I was in a music shop for the first time in many years in about 1999 and was standing next to a huge grand piano. I had an irresistible urge to throw my leg over the seat and play huge chords, which of course I couldn't do. I am the only child in the family who didn't get piano lessons but used to mess about on it. So now I am learning the piano (I got one in 1999 but broke my finger in 2000 and stopped for a while).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My eldest wanted to learn piano at primary school and she did for a few years, but then gave up. Over the summer the holiday house we stayed at had a piano, and she couldn't resist playing it every day though she has forgotten most of it, and she was regretting that she had given it up.

I also remember a child from her primary school who was on the Autistic Spectrum, so he struggled with lots of things. One day he was in the hall, and said to the teacher in charge of music that he wanted to play on the piano, walked up to it and started playing tunes immediately. And he was brilliant, so he had various music lessons, last I heard he had taken his Music GCSE in about year 8.

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
My eldest wanted to learn piano at primary school and she did for a few years, but then gave up. Over the summer the holiday house we stayed at had a piano, and she couldn't resist playing it every day though she has forgotten most of it, and she was regretting that she had given it up.

I also remember a child from her primary school who was on the Autistic Spectrum, so he struggled with lots of things. One day he was in the hall, and said to the teacher in charge of music that he wanted to play on the piano, walked up to it and started playing tunes immediately. And he was brilliant, so he had various music lessons, last I heard he had taken his Music GCSE in about year 8.
Wow!

Your daughter might end up like me, taking music lessons in middle age!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
everything but the body... pick-ups, potentiometers, saddle/bridge, machine heads, even the old scratch place, and yes, the neck :smile:
Which is all you really need for an electric instrument - the body is only really of use in an acoustic instrument.

srw

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any English/ British composers who'd be in the lean two centuries - only Germans then I suppose.

Off the top of my head:
Handel (honorary Englishman)
Sullivan
Arne
Boyce
Stanley
SS Wesley
Stanford
Samuel Taylor Coleridge
JC Bach and Mendelssohn (almost honorary Englishmen, and Haydn came close)
John Field (inventor of the nocturne)
Pearsall
Dyson

srw

Anyway, back on topic.

We've got
Piano
Electronic harpsichord
Organ console (plumbed into a computer)
Oboe
Great bass recorder
Bass recorder
Tenor recorder
About 5 treble recorders
3 or 4 descant recorders
Sopranino recorder
Castanets, triangle, tambourine
Lute
Two reasonably adept voices (one of which is incredibly rusty)
Double bass bow
And a pair of Balinese gender

All of which at least one of us is reasonably fluent at, and most of which both of us can play.

If we ever move from here, a room big enough for a proper (little) pipe organ will be a must. Continental churches are incredibly profligate - as well as the main West End organ they often have a chamber organ in the sanctuary or a transept. I can never persuade @rvw to help me half-inch one - she thinks they'd notice it gone, and that it wouldn't fit in our luggage.

Top Bottom