Anyone know where I put the seatclamp?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
I dropped a small grub screw in the kitchen the other day, in what I like to call a "pingphukkit" moment. Not to worry I thought, it'll be a breeze finding it on the lino floor. Being a methodical chap I looked all around before moving, checking the creases in my jeans and making certain it hadn't gone in my slippers. No sign of it in the immediate area. A wide visual sweep of the kitchen suggested it was going to be hard to find.

I used a torch to sweep the floor, as it casts a handy shadow if you hold it flat. No sign.

Next was the dustpan and brush. Stacking all of the chairs in one corner to maximise my chances, I started at the edges and meticulously swept the entire floor towards one single square in the middle, then sifted the debris. Still nothing.

The kickboards under the units have a gap or two in places, so I removed them in turn. Still no sign, but I did discover that the lino was only laid to just beyond the kickboards, and then on top of ply sheeting. There was a distinct chance therefore that the screw had rolled under a gap in the kickboards and dropped into the space behind the lino and ply, hiding from me and my torch.

As I rolled the lino back I discovered a similar gap under the cooker. A huge, solid range type thing, but with a removable strip at the front. Held on with three screws, one of which was bent, this was removed and the lino rolled back. Sure enough, behind the ply boarding was my grubscrew.

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
On your nose, that is where I used to find my glasses when looking for them.
Mrs Richards, they are on your head!
6a00e54ffb0bef8834017c350eb3fb970b-600wi.jpg

Levo-Lon

Guru
I was fitting a new loo seat..and the rubber grommet was nowhere to be seen..
i searched high and lo..
my little border terrier had sneaked in and pinched it while i was fitting the long bolts....she was chomping away on it at the bottom of the garden...

Alltalk

Regular
This thread is like a conversation with my wife

Lucky you. I've been seriously threatened with divorce for mentioning cycling.

I dropped a small grub screw in the kitchen the other day, in what I like to call a "pingphukkit" moment. Not to worry I thought, it'll be a breeze finding it on the lino floor. Being a methodical chap I looked all around before moving, checking the creases in my jeans and making certain it hadn't gone in my slippers. No sign of it in the immediate area. A wide visual sweep of the kitchen suggested it was going to be hard to find. I used a torch to sweep the floor, as it casts a handy shadow if you hold it flat. No sign. Next was the dustpan and brush. Stacking all of the chairs in one corner to maximise my chances, I started at the edges and meticulously swept the entire floor towards one single square in the middle, then sifted the debris. Still nothing. The kickboards under the units have a gap or two in places, so I removed them in turn. Still no sign, but I did discover that the lino was only laid to just beyond the kickboards, and then on top of ply sheeting. There was a distinct chance therefore that the screw had rolled under a gap in the kickboards and dropped into the space behind the lino and ply, hiding from me and my torch. As I rolled the lino back I discovered a similar gap under the cooker. A huge, solid range type thing, but with a removable strip at the front. Held on with three screws, one of which was bent, this was removed and the lino rolled back. Sure enough, behind the ply boarding was my grubscrew.

Apologies - that I have spemt 10 minutes on all this. Can't work out the point of anecdote sorry!

Something small has been lost - shame!!

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
This thread is like a conversation with my wife

Lucky you. I've been seriously threatened with divorce for mentioning cycling.

I dropped a small grub screw in the kitchen the other day, in what I like to call a "pingphukkit" moment. Not to worry I thought, it'll be a breeze finding it on the lino floor. Being a methodical chap I looked all around before moving, checking the creases in my jeans and making certain it hadn't gone in my slippers. No sign of it in the immediate area. A wide visual sweep of the kitchen suggested it was going to be hard to find. I used a torch to sweep the floor, as it casts a handy shadow if you hold it flat. No sign. Next was the dustpan and brush. Stacking all of the chairs in one corner to maximise my chances, I started at the edges and meticulously swept the entire floor towards one single square in the middle, then sifted the debris. Still nothing. The kickboards under the units have a gap or two in places, so I removed them in turn. Still no sign, but I did discover that the lino was only laid to just beyond the kickboards, and then on top of ply sheeting. There was a distinct chance therefore that the screw had rolled under a gap in the kickboards and dropped into the space behind the lino and ply, hiding from me and my torch. As I rolled the lino back I discovered a similar gap under the cooker. A huge, solid range type thing, but with a removable strip at the front. Held on with three screws, one of which was bent, this was removed and the lino rolled back. Sure enough, behind the ply boarding was my grubscrew.

Apologies - that I have spemt 10 minutes on all this. Can't work out the point of anecdote sorry!

Something small has been lost - shame!!
So you read it all the way to the end and then concluded something was lost? Oh dear.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I have generally found that things which are lost have made their way under the stairs, this is somehow still true for me despite the fact I live in a bungalow.

Top Bottom