Anyone read any decent books recently?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Any recomendations greatly recieved! Any genre will do just tell us what you have enjoyed.
I seem to find it hard to find anyhting that really grips me these days, My local library has a lot of novels written by women for women, I would like to read books written by men for men!
I would also like to read well written stories the quality of literature seems to be sliding in a downward spiral.
Books appear to be becoming more like films these days produced for mass market without the quality!

Rhythm Thief

Veteran
djtheglove said:
... I would like to read books written by men for men!
I would also like to read well written stories the quality of literature seems to be sliding in a downward spiral.

I've just reread "The Complete Sherlock Holmes" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Absolutely brilliant. I've moved on to the Dorothy L Sayers Lord Peter Wimsey books, but I can also recommend the Flashman books (or, indeed, anything - "Black Ajax" is especially good) by George MacDonald Fraser and any of Iain Banks's novels.

OP
OP
D

DJ

User3143 said:
I like to read true crime and there are some real good true crime books out there. Any books by Ann Rule are really good and well written.

''Stranger beside me'' about Ted Bundy and ''Green River running red'' about Gary Ridegeway are excellent books.

True crime!! Too gruesome am fraid, but thanks any way!

OP
OP
D

DJ

Rhythm Thief said:
I've just reread "The Complete Sherlock Holmes" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Absolutely brilliant. I've moved on to the Dorothy L Sayers Lord Peter Wimsey books, but I can also recommend the Flashman books (or, indeed, anything - "Black Ajax" is especially good) by George MacDonald Fraser and any of Iain Banks's novels.

Will have a look at those D L Sayers books.

Have read most of the Flashman novels, did make me laugh and some interesting history in them too:biggrin:

Iain Banks, thanks for reminding me will go back to him again.:tongue:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
You just said well written and that's the last author I could think of. He's written a number of stories, wouldn't like to pin them down to what I'd describe them as. I thought Waterland in particular was very good but I also liked one called Last Orders.

Rhythm Thief

Veteran
Try also Jonathan Coe and Patrick Neate.

Rhythm Thief

Veteran
And Nevil Shute could write a good story too. "On The Beach" is especially good, but also try "In The Wet" "A Town Like Alice" and "Requiem for a Wren".

OP
OP
D

DJ

Sounds good, will take a list back to the library and get them out. Thanks.:tongue:

PaulB

Legendary Member

I think everyone should read this. Get your fears into perspective and realise we've never had it so good. Totally recommended.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Try Coward On The Beach by James Delingpole, which is the first of a projected seven novels about a bloke who has to have a fantastically heroic war if he wants to inherit from his father. It's largely funny (a la Flashman) but he's researched it well and parts of it are quite moving.

Try also The Children Of Hurin by Tolkein. It's very dark and tragic but gripping.

Finally all the Kurt Wallander murder stories by that Swedish bloke whose name escapes me are absolutely brilliant.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I heartily recommend Robert Crais' "LA Requiem" and later books ("The Hostage" and another one about a bomb disposal person whose title I can't remember). We had them as audiobooks and they were so gripping we often found that when we arrived at our destination in the car we sat there listening for ages more. They're a crime/detective series.

Also try Robert Harris, 'Enigma' and 'Pompeii' are both good.

Top Bottom