Anyone up for a Blériot anniversary ride to Dover - 25th July?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrij

Über Member
Flying Dodo said:
The amended route I'm currently looking at is here.

Basically, it consists of most of the first part of dellzeqq's Whitstable route for FNRttC, (so it's not particularly lumpy!) before heading south east from Faversham. Exactly 80 miles.

I've still got to sort out a lunch stop, but I don't think there'll be much of a problem.

I've forgotten the names of most of the places we passed through during the reccie. Does this new route still include that lovely village where we stopped for a breather and a bottle top-up? Would love to make amends and actually buy a proper drink at that pub. ;)

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Sadly, it skirts past Chilham. It would only add a mile onto the total mileage to go there, but we'd have to drop down onto the A28, and then go up the hill into the village centre, and then go back down that way again. Plus it would mean we'd have to suffer that railway crossing again.

However, the good news is that User10571 has found a lunch spot, and also pointed out a highly recommended pub which is only 2 miles north of there anyway. So you shouldn't get too thirsty.

45cotterless

When you reach Whitfield, go on the roadside track towards Tesco, cross the road at the lights then 100yds back to Whitfield Hill. I did 51mph down this hill on a trike.Left at the bottom ( if you can stop) will lead you into Dover to see the amusements. It's a wackka of a hill!
If you want the cliff tops then along the seafront to the Eastern docks, up on your left and a ride /push path will bring you out at the cliff tops. Turn left down the hill and you can see the Bleriot landing place.
Hope to be there, see y'all.

TimO

Guru
I think I'll have to do this ride, and actually get into Dover this time, although the ride yesterday which finished six miles short of Dover proper did make my legs a little heavy coming in this morning!

Wigsie

Nincompoop
TimO said:
I think I'll have to do this ride, and actually get into Dover this time, although the ride yesterday which finished six miles short of Dover proper did make my legs a little heavy coming in this morning!

Just be glad you stopped 6 miles short of Dover, thats a reasonably safe distance surrounding it, any closer and you'll be in trouble. :ohmy:

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
I've just confirmed i've got the weekend off so i'm in, are we still meeting at 8am cutty sark?

Wigsie

Nincompoop
So whats the turnout looking like FD? just trying to figure out the best place for a RV with the group.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
I think there'll be about 10, but I'll sort out a rollcall in a bit. Still looking at 8 am start from Cutty Sark Gardens, and I reckon we'll get to Dover just after 4.30 pm.

From the Dover 2009 web site:-

3:00pm to 6:00pm Series of vintage aeroplanes processing over Dover together with flying displays at Duke of York’s Royal Military School and at Dover Seafront
6:00pm to 6:30pm Arrival of Bleriot XI aeroplane flown by Mikael Carlson supported by 3 Bleriot XI aeroplanes from France, Luxembourg and NL
6:45pm Flypast over Dover by the RAF Red Arrows and La Patrouille de France.

The Lancaster from the Battle of Britain Memorial flight will also be doing a flypast.

The planes will be landing at the Duke of York's Military school playing fields, but they're charging £10 admission to that, so before hand I'll scout around for somewhere nearby for us to loiter.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
The route is as per this amended version. It includes highlights such as the QEII bridge in daylight, quite a few tanks and special tracked vehicles, deserted marshes, lots of horses, quaint churches, an abandoned submarine, rolling Downs, fields of poppies, a ford near a Bridge and of course the White Cliffs. 82 miles down to (almost) sea level and around 3,200 ft of climbing, but on the plus side there's the same amount of descending. Nothing more than about 10% slope or so......

Time for a rollcall.

Me
User10571
PippaG
TimO?
Kats
Davywalnuts
Ianrauk?
Wigsie?
Origamist
Topcat1

Departing Cutty Sark Gardens at 8am, then (on the assumption most people will have had breakfast before they left home), get a second breakfast at Andy's Snacks in Rochester at around 10, then grab some sandwiches/drinks for early lunch if required from the Asda in Sittingborne, have some more food/drink at a nice pub in Selling around 1.30-2-ish if required, and arrive in Dover some time after 5.

Due to engineering works, the only trains out of Dover are the (slightly) slower ones to Victoria which take 1 hr 45 mins to 2 hours, as the other route to Charing Cross which takes 1 hr 30 mins is closed for engineering works on the section between Dover & Folkestone.

In view of this, it may be prudent to bring some lights if people stay until 7-ish.

Mind you, if there's more than 15-20kts of wind, I shouldn't think the Blériot planes will be flying, plus if it's going to rain all day, I won't be going either!

/Met man mode

The weather forecast is now improving rapidly for Saturday, with a ridge of high pressure building in the south, so there should be sunny spells and a temperature of around 22C.

Tynan

Veteran
I still very much want to do this but family nonsense is making it suspect, sorry

Will do my best o get there, looks like a good 'un

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Tynan said:
I still very much want to do this but family nonsense is making it suspect, sorry

Will do my best o get there, looks like a good 'un

Am in the same boat currently! bloody families, always getting in the way of a decent bike ride!

Top Bottom