Are all cycle paths bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

Is that an acceptable link? :biggrin:

mondobongo

Über Member
No its a pavement, i would feel that I had rolled over and gave up my road. But then I am a die hard Roadie who considers it as my right to ride on the road.

buggi

Bird Saviour
mondobongo said:
No its a pavement, i would feel that I had rolled over and gave up my road. But then I am a die hard Roadie who considers it as my right to ride on the road.

i agree. i think all cycle paths/lanes are bad because it gives the impression we should not be on the road or we should be in the gutter. I'm quite tall, as you know, and the amount of times i nearly get whacked round the head by some workman's truck's wing mirror!!!

the only cycle lanes i find acceptable are the ones that are on the exits of roundabouts... stops the cars coming in to close to the kerb and cutting you up when you exit

Noodley

buggi said:
i agree. i think all cycle paths/lanes are bad because it gives the impression we should not be on the road or we should be in the gutter. I'm quite tall, as you know, and the amount of times i nearly get whacked round the head by some workman's truck's wing mirror!!!

the only cycle lanes i find acceptable are the ones that are on the exits of roundabouts... stops the cars coming in to close to the kerb and cutting you up when you exit

So which is it?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think some cycle paths can be well designed. I think it depends on who is using it partially. Cycle paths (long ones without lots of side roads) are great for the occasional cyclist, parent taking her kids out of a town/city, someone wanting a ride but not having to think about where they are going too much.

However sometimes the councils seems to think a cycle path is merely a case of painting a bit of the side of the road (doesn't have to be wide as cycles have such narrow tyres don't they), without thinking about it too much.

I think cycle paths are good (in general but aren't for everyone) because they get extra bums on saddles.

If I had powers on my council I would make it a condition of working in the road planning/resurfacing/engineering department that you had to cycle to work half the week so that they could appreciate the effect of their plans or workmanship:evil:.

just jim

I've counted about ten green tractors in that farm yard at Hinton Cross. Who needs ten green tractors???

And what if one were to accidently fall?

I'm off to get a life now.

LLB

I'm not an advocate on taking pavements and turning them into shared spaces. The problem is that you take the vulnerability of one group (cyclists) and transfer that onto another (pedestrians).

Unfortunately, there are far too many cyclists who will go bombing along these oblivious to the parents with young children, dog walkers etc. I see it every time I take the dog on a local path (converted railway line). It is a great way of getting about away from traffic, but is well abused by riders not giving due consideration to others ;)

wafflycat

Most of my cycling is done on narrow roads, all NSL, with many an HGV or large agricultural machine being driven on them. I've never yet felt that I've been in need of a separate cycle farcility.

wafflycat

Perhaps the artics are driven differently in your part of the world, but in my bit, the drivers are generally true knights of the road, give me loads of room, don't overtake unless safe to do so and are well past me before they move back in. And I'm no speed-queen on the bike - and the roads are all national speed limit roads.

snorri

Legendary Member
There's nothing wrong with choice, and IMO the militant 'it's our road too' cyclists only make it worse for those who would choose not to ride on the road.
Promoting cycling should not be about limiting choice, but making it available to all. Including those who want to ride along at 10mph and shouldn't have to learn how to mix it with European artics trying to kill them if they don't want to..
True.;)

Top Bottom