Are cyclists the scourge of the streets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd not consider a kevlar vest as PPE, for use should "any van drivers feel like getting out of their vans to play a bit of slap and tickle".

To me that's going looking for trouble, and "suiting up" for when it does happen, not if it happens.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'd not consider a kevlar vest as PPE, for use should "any van drivers feel like getting out of their vans to play a bit of slap and tickle".

To me that's going looking for trouble, and "suiting up" for when it does happen, not if it happens.

Unless he takes it off and swings it at someone, I think you're stretching things here.

classic33

Leg End Member
Unless he takes it off and swings it at someone, I think you're stretching things here.
Concealed vest, with the next clip showing him putting a van driver in a headlock.

Disperses the force applied, spreading it over a larger area.

The law isn't clear cut over the wearing of them, in England.

Johnno260

Veteran
This same discussion has blown up on Facebook about this show, some of the comments are plain disgusting.

The usual tax insurance nonsense, when I commented I was told if you can’t keep up get off the road.

Actually pretty ashamed that some of the comments are the from supposed human beings.

This same discussion has blown up on Facebook about this show, some of the comments are plain disgusting.

The usual tax insurance nonsense, when I commented I was told if you can’t keep up get off the road.

Actually pretty ashamed that some of the comments are the from supposed human beings.
Facebook is a trash fire. An appalling place run by appalling people designed to inflame appalling opinions, and with appalling users who are all too eager to participate.

If I wanted to read ill-informed deranged bilge by credulous morons I'd unblock Donald Trump's twitter account.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Well one comment said if you can’t keep up with the traffic flow get off the road, I said fine by me, the traffic in the town I work in is gridlocked most mornings so bicycle commuters are setting the pace.
My admittedly pathetic retort when shouted at from an old builders van with nothing but black reek emitting from the rear was that I would if he would every time I came behind him in the Jag. Waste of time I know, but makes me feel like I'm doing my bit.

snorri

Legendary Member
Cyclists are not the scourge of the streets, motorised vehicles are, particularly those carrying just one person.
Part of the problem is the sheer inefficiency of the motor car as a mode of single person transport in an urban setting. There is simply not enough space for everyone to travel this way, but the motorist is encouraged by clever advertising, freedom of the roads etc.. little wonder those taken in by the hype have feelings of frustration when people on bikes can permeate cities much more effectively.
The motorists complaining about cyclists causing delays on rural roads can also be accused of selective blindness. Cyclists can cause minor delays there, but these are far outweighed by the delays caused by cars to pedestrian travel in the urban setting where pedestrians are required to wait quite long periods for a break in motorised traffic, or are forced to take longer routes in order to find safe road crossing places.
Makes me wonder if the type of driver who considers their journey delayed by cyclists has similar feelings when as pedestrians they wait for a break in the motor traffic to allow them to cross the road.

Last edited:
Top Bottom