Are they correct? Bicycle lights the key to improving safety.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Cycling home at a quarter to midnight last night down the country lanes I was overtaken by my daughter in her car. When I got home she reported that my rear lights (2 x Smart half watt, one flashing, one constant) were like 'Blackpool illuminations' and she saw me over half a mile away. She also said the my front lights (Blackburn Scorch set on flashing, 1800 lumen CREE on constant) were as bright as car headlights.

I would suggest that being seen in excess of half a mile away makes a significant contribution to not dying on the bike.

Perhaps the Australian who summarised the research would like to try my route with no lights, and see how long they live.

This is an interesting document

69-80 % of accidents at junctions because one driver "failed to see" the other despite "looking" (LBFS)

That is the issue, drives failing to see even with teh brightest lights.

I have had a taxi pull out on me despite a 1600 Cree on full power, stopping about a foot from his side window

IN this case apparently it was my fault, because he thought I was a motorbike, and that would have been able to brake in time. By riding a bike with inferior brakes it was my fault!

Light do help, but will still not be an answer if the drivers LBFS, or the 70% of accidents caused where the driver fails to give priority

Drago

Legendary Member
Excellent. If he'd said "sorry mate, I misjudged that", it would've been much more palatable than trying to blame the victim for the offenders behaviour.

Top Bottom