Are we being forced to go electric?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Gav has said his Mrs can't walk far so they need a car.
Taxis ? Maybe the family could visit them rather than the other way round.

Cars are definitely very convenient but if you lost your licence or couldn't afford a car - there's ways around it. What's the average price of a car? That'd pay for a lot of taxis.

In the future we will probably be in self driving taxis - so private car ownership will probably decline. No idea when though.

I honestly couldn't see how I could do my job without being able to drive, I visit different sites around the country carrying a load of kit.
Obviously I wouldn't die if I didn't have a job but I guess not having one wouldn't be very nice.

classic33

Leg End Member
Taxis ? Maybe the family could visit them rather than the other way round.

Cars are definitely very convenient but if you lost your licence or couldn't afford a car - there's ways around it. What's the average price of a car? That'd pay for a lot of taxis.

In the future we will probably be in self driving taxis - so private car ownership will probably decline. No idea when though.
Taxi from North Wales to Devon?

Alex321

Veteran
Last time I checked I was living real life... This is the different between need and want. You, like Gavroche, appear not to be able to tell the difference.

But seeing as youre in youre typically contrary mood, why don't you explain why 17 million households don't need to, but you and Gavroche do need to?

Just be honest. You want to, because the alternative is an inconvenient pain in the backside.

Any chance you could consider reading my post before responding, then perhaps responding to what I actually wrote rather than what you wanted me to write to make your point?

Taxi from North Wales to Devon?
That's literally what taxi drivers do. You pay them to take you places. In my old job we used to have chauffeur cars to collect us from the airport. They need do driving jobs all over the country.

Pricey but so is owning a car.

Joffey

Big Dosser
With the cost of petrol/diesel going up by the day and now teaching £1.50 a litre, I wonder if it is a conspiracy by the automotive industry and the government to force us to buy electric cars?
Mrs G wants to go to Bideford soon to visit our daughter and it is going to cost me £100 just on petrol !! :sad: This is mad. Many families are going to be price out of motoring as electric cars are far too expensive for most of us.
A simple Clio is around £28000 !!
I despair for the future.

When we were looking you could get a VW ID3 for £28,500 after the Gov grant and the VW finance contribution. That Clio might reduce when you factor the various incentives in.

yello

Methinks the current rush to buy houses in the country may soon be reversed!
Indeedy. Rural life has its many benefits but it does lack, amongst other things, anything remotely resembling an integrated public transport system.

I could catch the school bus to town, take the train to the closest big town... but I'll not be getting home the same day!

Define 'necessary' but owning a car when living in the sticks would fit into many a definition of it.

Alex321

Veteran
Indeedy. Rural life has its many benefits but it does lack, amongst other things, anything remotely resembling an integrated public transport system.

I could catch the school bus to town, take the train to the closest big town... but I'll not be getting home the same day!

Define 'necessary' but owning a car when living in the sticks would fit into many a definition of it.
It would, but Drago's argument would be "It is your choice to live in the sticks, you could move to somewhere with decent Public Transport, so it is not necessary".

But his argument is based on people not "needing" anything more than the basics to keep them alive. Which is not considered to be correct by most people, and hasn't been since biblical times - the statement "Man does not live by bread alone" comes from the Old Testament.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Your figures are the wrong way round.
The electric is about 50% less carbon footprint than the petrol version.

There's no way that drilling petrol, moving it across the world and then burning it in a car is going to be lower carbon than electricity.

https://www.electrive.com/2021/11/04/volvo-reveals-the-co2-footprint-of-the-c40-recharge/
Where does the electricity come from ? Wind power ? Diesel gensets ...........and more diesel gensets ....... and even more diesel gensets .... or green electricity as EON call it ......
If your happy with children mining the essential minerals for batteries in the Congo ....... ?????

yello

And of course, living rurally, it would be better all around if I didn't need to travel to the nearest big town at all. If I could get my 'necessities' (however one defines that) more locally, within cycling range even.

Would be nice if people didn't need to be 'forced' into buying electric even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom