Are you religious?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Have no time for any religion never have, but i do have a daughter who goes every week, it's her choice. the same as anybody else,but it ain't for me.

02GF74

Über Member
People's perception of religion has killed more people in wars than anything else, yet religion is held in esteem by the 'faithful'
do you have data to back up that? a lot of wars aren't about religion - off hand I can only nake the crusades.

I have not data either but would guess that disease, pestilance, starvation, plague and old age has killed more.

people are tribal so need something to make them selves different from others be it religion, nationality, football team they support or what cycling forum they post on; if religion wasn't invented, it would have been something else, and it was invented to allay the fear of death.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Atheist and man of science here. However, two points to finesse this a bit:

1) I am somewhat envious of people with real faith as this can provide them with something positive to hold onto in difficult times. eg. us science bods accept there is no afterlife, once your dead, that's it whereas belief in the afterlife gives some positivity in death

2) Religion actually gives a good set of guidelines on which to lead a decent life. If everyone lived by the 10 commandments then the world would be a much better place.

Certainly a lot less coveting of your neighbour's oxen must be a good thing, right? :laugh:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
2) Religion actually gives a good set of guidelines on which to lead a decent life. If everyone lived by the 10 commandments then the world would be a much better place.

Certainly a lot less coveting of your neighbour's oxen must be a good thing, right? :laugh:

I prefer the Bill and Ted version - it would do just as well!

ASC1951

Guru
True, but those tenets are not peculiar to religion: they are found in all cultures at all times.

A convinced atheist, here. And a Buddhist.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I'm just going to leave this here.
Oo10CiB.jpg

Arch

Married to Night Train
Arch, Speicher and the girls in the tea thread will make you a cuppa and an accompanying cake, and you can happily discuss your views here without being 'cliqued' into submission.

Hold on, how come Speicher and I don't get to be 'the girls in the tea thread' too?

Anyway, once you've taken us out, I think there's only one lady regular left... Unless you count Potsy, but he's not a girl, more a big girl's blouse.
:giggle:

Arch

Married to Night Train
You are allowed to be both in my book.... Christian doesn't mean Creationist.(but you don't need me to tell you that)
I find String Theory just as bizarre & unlikely a concept as the earth being a mere 6,000 years old.

That pretty much sums it up for me. I listen to talk of theoretical physics, and think "But it's all just made up to fit the universe as we understand it", which is exactly what I feel religion was originally. We can test it and find it fits, but we can't step outside the universe to see if there's another way.

I'm agnostic, for the simple reason (well simple to me) that I can't prove God doesn't exist, anymore than anyone can prove He/She/It/They don't. I find strident atheists like Richard Dawkins as dogmatic as any fundamentalist religionists.

I like the fact that humans have been so curious about the world that we needed to work out how it came about. Now that we know that many animals use and make tools, have self awareness, commit wanton violence etc - all the things we once thought marked humans as unique - perhaps religion is our only defining feature.

Or maybe the animals have that too. I've always enjoyed reading Watership Down for the fact that Adams invented a belief system for rabbits.

I agree with Arch about Dawkins - he drives me crazy, and also gives the evangelical religious types a reason to say "atheism is a religion too" (as a crazy ex-boyfriend is inclined to do).

I really struggle not to think less of strongly religious types. I don't understand how people can believe in any of these "higher powers". To me I see no difference in between god and father christmas - except the book about the former is a lot more hard going than anything written about the latter! What makes people think that one fairytale is just that and yet live their lives by another is beyond me.

Top Bottom