Are you sitting comfortably? Well no, not really ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Quick question - I think I need a new stem (more rise, possibly less reach) but how do I determine what size to get without trying lots?

I've tried the stem calculators but I don't really know how much of a difference I need to make.

As best as I can measure my current stem is 40 degrees and my head angle is 70 degrees or thereabouts.

I am putting too much weight on my wrists and getting pains in my hands. The bike is a hybrid converted to a drop bar tourer/commuter/gravel grinder/ride it how you want and it won't break kind and no-one will steal it sort of thing, and I think the main problem is that the height difference between the saddle and the drops is too far, causing discomfort in the nadular region, and the brake levers are really uncomfortable, being 1970's metal jobs.

So I need more height mainly. And less reach. I'm talking round in circles now. I'll ask a new question:

Will 26mm handlebars fit in a 25.4mm stem clamp?

Cheers.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Can you post a photo of the bike? Also one with you sitting on the bike?

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Thanks for your reply - the answer is not easily! It's odd, I've been fiddling about it with it tonight and I can't work out if I need more reach or less reach, which is odd - it feel uncomfortable, but it also feels cramped.

The bike has a threaded headset with an ahead converter, so I have been able to raise the bars about an inch. I've also moved the saddle back - I'll see how it feels tomorrow. I tend to ride on the tops most often, which I guess is a habit from having bikes that were too big as a kid - but looking at it tonight I think the levers are too far around the curve of the bars too. I can't be bothered moving them tonight though as that would mean releasing the cables :smile:

Top Bottom