Armstrong injured

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maurice

I can't see him being out of the tour, they'll pin it and he'll be on the turbo within a week, perhaps even riding within two.

Perhaps a blessing to miss the Giro, as it always seemed a bit outlandish for him to compete in that and the Tour at his age, when previously it was always the one grand tour per year.

I'd add that he may have had a hand in bringing many people into cycling, me included (in a small way admittedly), and whilst I don't single him out totally, his media stature has brought cycling to the masses in a big way over the last 10 years or so, imVho!

mondobongo

Über Member
Sky Sports News!!!!!!!!!!!!! are reporting that Bruyneel has said armstrong will be fit to ride the Tour they go on to say he will be riding the Giro. The Tour maybe I can't see him making the Giro.

Quite funny watching them stumble through the report.

Dave_1

He should be on a bike on rollers in a week and on the road by end of week 3, so what April 13th...3 weeks from now...only 1 week off actual training and on April 22 is Giro Del Trentino 5 day and on April 28th-May 3rd is Tour of Romandie... with Giro on May 9th. IMO Lance will be back for one of those and will ride the Giro. From what we read , it's a clean break which is a month to heal..from what i read. I think he needs the Giro , he needs the conditioning from that for TDF. Looks like Alberton C will have Levi as co leader judging by his TTing and climbing this year

yello

Dave_1 said:
I think he needs the Giro , he needs the conditioning from that for TDF.

I reckon you're right. The break (both of bone and in training) probably means - somewhat paradoxically - that he's a cert to start the Giro! Whether he finishes or not is a different matter.

Dave_1

yello said:
I reckon you're right. The break (both of bone and in training) probably means - somewhat paradoxically - that he's a cert to start the Giro! Whether he finishes or not is a different matter.

I'd rather see him leave the sport with some dignity, be it the hour record, a podium place at the TDF. I hope he rides and completes the Giro...david Millar's break looks more tricky. Was reading about it on the Garmin team website

Guardian's got a video of the aftermath and interview

Skip Madness

Maybe it was the lingering fatigue from the near 300 kilometre trawl to San Remo that caused yesterday’s crash, or maybe it was just bad luck. But Armstrong doesn’t do crashes — in fact, his renown stems from his avoidance of them. The old Armstrong, particularly when it came to the Tour, usually stayed upright when his rivals fell like ninepins.
None of that really has any bearing on what happens when the two guys in front of you tumble over, does it.

Of course everyone is entitled to think what they want about whether or not Armstrong still has it, but there are few conclusions that can be drawn from his actual performances so far this season, despite Whittle's best contentions. That is a very poor article.

Skip Madness said:
None of that really has any bearing on what happens when the two guys in front of you tumble over, does it.
Surely experienced racers just don't end up in situations at the back of the pack with numptys taking them out? How many times have I heard Liggett & Sherwen saying that the race leader is in a bad position because he's too far back in the peloton and vulnerable to exactly this kind of occurence...

Skip Madness

Chuffy said:
Surely experienced racers just don't end up in situations at the back of the pack with numptys taking them out? How many times have I heard Liggett & Sherwen saying that the race leader is in a bad position because he's too far back in the peloton and vulnerable to exactly this kind of occurence...
Cycling News]Lance Armstrong said:
, was caught up in a crash and was transported to the hospital with a suspected broken collarbone.
From here.[/B]

Skip Madness said:
Ah, fairy snuff. I may have been confusing it with reports from Milan-San Remo which mentioned him being dropped and trundling along near the back. But the fact that he's never had a bad accident until now does suggest that he's more vulnerable than ever before. He has a reputation for being in absolute control and an accident goes a long way to denting that image...

zimzum42

Legendary Member
His twitter says he's seen the doctor and it seems more complex that originally thought...

He also says he's going into surgery tomorrow morning. Good luck!

Top Bottom