Ask Unkle Hadron

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Uncle Mort said:
How I ever managed to get a physics "A" level is now completely beyond me...

If you did QCD at A level I will certainly admit that standards have declined! I did particle physics option at A-level which was only picked as I was the only one mad enough to want to do the cosmology option.

I blame the University of Gottingen, it's mostly their fault really...

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there more likelihood of the
end of the world when they actually collide particles rather than sending the beams around the accelerator clockwise and anti clockwise to see if it all works?:smile:

marinyork

tdr1nka said:
end of the world when they actually collide particles rather than sending the beams around the accelerator clockwise and anti clockwise to see if it all works?:smile:

It is a point that people seem to have missed, you don't miss a trick tdr1nka :ohmy:.

There is a lot more chance of the end of the world happening next month but it's still extremely unlikely. We'd need an absolutely massive LHC to stand any chance of making a black hole under currently verified science. The only real possibility of making one is if the "shower head" theories of gravity are true. Even if one was made, although it would "light up like a christmas tree" as one scientist put it, it wouldn't cause any harm.

Arch

Married to Night Train
tdr1nka said:

That only occured to me mid morning...

Still, they have apparently got the beam going both ways now, so I guess the colliding starts soon!

red_tom

turn-on.png

From the ever great xkcd

graham56

Guru
As the "Big Bang" took place in a vacuum, and as we were taught in physics class sound can`t travel in a vacuum, how do we know it made a "bang"?
And as it was sub atomic how is it big?

wafflycat

graham56 said:
As the "Big Bang" took place in a vacuum, and as we were taught in physics class sound can`t travel in a vacuum, how do we know it made a "bang"?

Fool. Everyone knows the answer to that one. Vulcans hear stuff in vacuums, as they have a special ear that allows them to hear in a vacumm. It's not their left one or their right one, it's their one to hear in space, their final front ear.

;)

marinyork

graham56 said:
And as it was sub atomic how is it big?

Fred Hoyle coined it as a term of abuse for Gamow's idea. The two didn't get on particularly well. A similar thing happened with the Higgs, it got named the God Particle as Lederman who used to run the Tevatron (which was hoped might find the Higgs) named it the Goddamn Particle in frustration and someone edited it.

Top Bottom